[XP] Newly Built PC fails to POST :-(

Thread: [XP] Newly Built PC fails to POST :-(

[XP] Newly Built PC fails to POST :-(

The message topic says it all, but I'll briefly describe the situation.

I just built a PC, as follows:
    - 7-yr old Antec full tower case, very nice, roomy, durable. This, the power supply and the hard drive are the ONLY used items, everything else is brand new.
    - Power supply 550W (1 yr old, has been working fine)
    - Gigabyte GA-MA790X mobo
    - AMD 64x2 5000+ Black Edition CPU
    - G.Skill 4GB RAM (2x2GB) DDR 1066
    - VisionTek ATI Radeon HD3650 1GB video card

NOTES
    - Yes, I realize I need XP 64-bit to use the full 4GB RAM
    - VisionTek's documentation states that this card requires at least a 300W PSU

Observations/Symptoms
    Turn on PC. ALL fans work, including the CPU and video fans. PC searches the drives -- the lights blink and there is the usual beep of the PC searching drives etc. There are NO error-type beeps. The monitor (LG 22" LCD widescreen) displays the usual blue light (when on and "at work"), but as soon as the PC finishes scanning the drives, the monitor power switch light goes from blue to yellow, as if no signal, and no POST displays.

What I've done:
    - Checked and re-checked:
    --- ALL cable connections
    --- Seating of CPU, RAM and video card
    --- Have tried firing up the PC with power cable to the PCI-e power plug both connected and NOT connected

Possibilities:
    - New motherboard is DOA (WAHHHHHHHH!!!!)
    - Dead PSU (was working fine just before performing the "transplant" of new parts)
    - New video card is DOA (seems to explain the monitor displaying its little "Sleep Mode" rectangle message and then no POST, no nothing)
    - New RAM is DOA (as said, have checked seating of RAM modules)

I've built a dozen PCs at home over the years, have had my share of problems but have always figured them out. But this is the first time I've had a "no-POSTer", and if I can't even get a POST from BIOS, I have nowhere to start troubleshooting.

I don't have Bill Gates' pocketbook and obviously don't have a shelf full of spare components to swap out, in order to test things. And with no POST, have no idea where or how to begin at all.

As I finish this post, I am going downstairs to replace the video card with a new one I bought tonight ... identical to the first. If that doesn't work, I'll yank out the mobo, put it on a foam mat with anti-static plastic, and try booting up again. If nothing happens, I'll be a step closer to the migraine headache of a DOA mobo.

I do use my PC to play a bit ... but also have a LOT of work to do, and the clock is ticking. Any and all constructive comments and advice is infinitely appreciated.

- Dave G. in VA
    Last edited by stargazer777; August 2nd, 2008 at 01:06 AM.

HD 3650 53W (256MB)
    So with 1 GB of onboard memory for that card, my first guess is the power supply is to small.

Fact is it seems you video card may require 3oo watts by itself.

Power Supply Requirements 300 Watt Power Supply
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0282423

650 watts may take care of things and would not blame you if you got a 750.

Clear the CMOS then,

Suggest that you test for POST with only the essentials.
    Processor w/ HSF
    Mobo
    Video card
    (1) memory module.

EDIT:
    Forgot to mention,
    If POST is successful,
    If applicable,
    Double check and set correct voltage for memory module.

You can access advanced CMOS/BIOS menu by pressing Ctrl + F1 once you're in the CMOS/BIOS menu.
    Last edited by Shinma; August 2nd, 2008 at 02:11 AM.
    Cheers.

***RESOLVED***

Shinma,

Thank you for your comments.

I happened to open and try out the replacement video card, and voila! I now have video and a POST.

Now I'm having Win XP Pro install shutting down halfway through (twice, right after loading the installation files), but that's another topic . . .

cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    HD 3650 53W (256MB)
    So with 1 GB of onboard memory for that card, my first guess is the power supply is to small.

Fact is it seems you video card may require 3oo watts by itself.

Power Supply Requirements 300 Watt Power Supply
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0282423

650 watts may take care of things and would not blame you if you got a 750.
    Thanks, Train. I didn't know the stipulation of 300W meant just for the video card ... but that still leaves 250W "left over." But anyway . . . if insufficient PSU power was the culprit, wouldn't the video fail right from the start? It's weird to me that video would work for almost half an hour into installing WinXP Pro -- i.e., delete C: partition, create and format new C: partition, and Win XP installation all the way through putting the installation files in place. The screen goes blank at one point, then Win install window comes up again, then blank again after putting in the installation files. There is then a lot of activity between the CD-ROM and the hard drive for about half a minute, but the screen remains blank. The Win XP installation does NOT resume after that, even after waiting 5 minutes or so.

The very strangest part is, things seem to "fall apart" at exactly the same point each time. I start over, "re-delete" the C: partition, re-create and format it, and start the WinXP install all over again. And all three times, the install has "fallen apart" right after the installation files have been put in place . . . just plain weird.

Could it be a dirty lens in the CD-DVD drive? I did have some playback problems recently when watching a TV series on DVD . . . anyway, that's just a thought . . . again, it seems to me if there weren't enough power for video, it wouldn't work from the get-go.

I'll be tinkering, and will check in here a bit later. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

- Dave
    Last edited by stargazer777; August 2nd, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Insufficient power can cause all kinds of wierd errors, And when you switched to a less demanding Video card it worked. Or you have a bad video card.

Just because a cheap brand says it has 500 watts, which maybe a out right lie, may be a good reason to buy a quality PS.

I use a 600 watt XION which has taken a serious beating and is still perking along just fine.
    Other good ones are Tagan, OCZ, Thermaltake, Enermax, Hiper.

EDIT: Just so you know, even if you have a much larger ps, it will only the amount of power needed to run the computer.

A lot of times, during the first scheduled restart of an XP install the restart boots from the CD drive - not the hard drive as it should. If this is what's happening to you, remove the CD during the reboot OR at the reboot go into the BIOS and change the boot order to hard drive first, then boot. I remove the disk myself, that way there's no possibility of booting from the CD. It will ask for the CD when it's required.

Quote Originally Posted by Train
    Insufficient power can cause all kinds of wierd errors, And when you switched to a less demanding Video card it worked. Or you have a bad video card.

Just because a cheap brand says it has 500 watts, which maybe a out right lie, may be a good reason to buy a quality PS.

I use a 600 watt XION which has taken a serious beating and is still perking along just fine.
    Other good ones are Tagan, OCZ, Thermaltake, Enermax, Hiper.

EDIT: Just so you know, even if you have a much larger ps, it will only the amount of power needed to run the computer.
    Thanks again, Train. Actually, the replacement video card is IDENTICAL to the first one, that didn't even provide video -- i.e., the new one I'm using now is identical right down to the 1GB vRAM.

Your added comment seems to be incomplete ... did you mean to say, ". . . even if you have a much larger ps, it will only put out the amount of power needed to run the computer." ?

Also, for good PSU brands, how is PC Power & Cooling?

Now . . . is there a logical step-by-step to find out whether it's the PSU or video card? I guess I'd have to buy (again) a new unit of one or the other . . . but I can't keep going back and forth to the store (6 miles) and spending $$$ just to troubleshoot . . . and if I got another video card, I'll be sitting here with three of them, and facing headaches trying to return them for credit . . . all of this really bites

- Dave

PC Power & Cooling was bought out by OCZ so they are the same now.

If you have a 1000 watt power supply, but the computer only need 600 watts to run, 600 watts is all the power supply will produce. The balance will then be available to take care of needs if required.

Then the first card you tried is probably shot. Return it for a replacement is what I would do or return it and get my money back. Yes, I have had to do that a few times.

If you have a PC power PS and the computer is working, you are probably OK. But I would change out to a larger PS before adding more hardware like a 2nd hdd or CD/DVD burner.

Thanks again to all . . .

Well, I took a can of Dust-Off and blew through the "straw nozzle" into the CD/DVD drive a bit. Then I went through the entire process again -- wiped away the C: partition, re-created and formatted it, and did a whole new XP install.

Lo and behold, it completed, but you were right, Igbpop -- I had to remove the WinXP CD for the restart.

I have now had WinXP running for almost 2 hours, installed ATI drivers, antivirus, Firefox. T-bird etc. etc. without so much as a hiccup from video.

I do concur, Train . . . I'll buy a bigger, better PSU later this month. Right now I'm using a Seagate (ugh) 100GB IDE (PATA) HDD and a Plextor P-716A CD/DVD-RW drive (also PATA) .... I want to upgrade soon to SATA versions of both.

Thanks again to all, much appreciated.

- Dave

Thread Information