[RESOLVED] [MCE] Error Loading Operating System

Thread: [RESOLVED] [MCE] Error Loading Operating System

Resolved [RESOLVED] [MCE] Error Loading Operating System

This all started when I started having trouble with my video card...while in a 3-D game I started getting a blue screen "NV4_DISP" error...after many hours reading online I came to the conclusion that my video card was going bad....I ordered and installed a new one(8800GTX)...when I turned on the computer I could again read the boot up screens up until I started getting another error "missing or corrupted file \windows\system32\config\system"...

I then decided to do a reinstall of the OS, Win XP MCE 2005, using the reinstallation DVD shipped with my machine...
    I then changed the boot order in BIOS to boot to the onboard CD drive 1st and kept getting "selected boot device unavailable"....I have tried a new reinstallation DVD from Dell and a new DVD drive....still nothing.....I have run the diagnostic program from the resources CD and everythig passes.......

If I boot up with the DVD in the drive I get a black screen error msg "error loading operating system"

If I boot up with the DVD in the drive , hit f12 and select boot from cd drive I get error message "selected boot device unavailable"

Hi Wookie64, welcome to Virtual Dr

Go back into the BIOS Setup again, and make sure that it is actually seeing the drive in there. If it is, then first of all, try cleaning the DVD drive lens with a cleaning disc. You can get one from any music or electronics store if you don't have one already. Also, try washing the CD in luke warm water with a few drops of detergent in it. That slightly alters the reflectivity of the disc, which sometimes helps.
    Nick.

Hold the phones!!!!!!!.....

I can now read the reinstall dvd, however when i choose either option, install or repair...I get the following "setup did not find any hardrives installed on your computer"??????

I know they are there....can see them from both the boot device menu when I run hardrive diagnostics and when I run the test utility on the other CD that came with the syatem...

Any ideas?

In that case they are almost certainly SATA drives, and WinXP wants the drivers for the motherboard SATA controller. You will be able to download it from the mobo makers site, and you have to put the drivers on a floppy. Once you've done that, run Setup again, and soon after it starts you'll see a message at the bottom about "SCSI drivers". Press F6 at that point and Setup will carry on and ask for the floppy when it's ready.
    Nick.

Done....fixed ....thanks.....

You're very welcome
    Nick.

Thread Information