Help! Windows Installer won't go away!

Thread: Help! Windows Installer won't go away!

Help! Windows Installer won't go away!

Now I've really done it. DH just got a new laptop and I installed an old version of MSoft Office. We decided we didn't want it to I went to Add/Remove Programs and tried to uninstall it. It wouldn't let me, it kept asking for the disk which I put in but it still wouldn't uninstall.

I've simply deleted the Office directory and I also went to the registry and removed 'Office' under Microsoft.

The problem is that the stinkin' Windows Installer keep coming up at startup and I have to continually click cancel. Just when I think it's gone, it comes up again.

I've really messed things up this time. How do I stop Windows Installer from coming up?

Thanks,
    Nancy

Deleting the Office Directory and erasing it from the registry is a bad idea. I can't even imagine how deep Office goes in the registry. My suggestion is to re-install office and then try uninstalling it again. If it prompts for a CD, make sure that you are in the right directory.

Maybe the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Resolved!

Hi All,
    My patient husband figured it out. With Vista, the Add/Remove Program has another option besides uninstall and repair. It's "Change". That worked. YAY!

Thank you,
    Nancy

Thread Information