Windows Explorer needs to close...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Explorer needs to close...

Windows Explorer needs to close...

Every time Windows starts, I see a pop up box that reads: "Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close." After I close it, another pop up box tells me that Windows needs to restart. After I click OK, Windows partially restarts, i. e. all icon disappear and after a few seconds reappear; all programs usually starting at the start, start, including Internet connection (which never starts before the error message appears).
    After consulting M$ forums, I got that far, in the Event Viewer:
    PHP Code:
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source
    :    Application Error
    Event Category
    :    None
    Event ID
    :    1000
    Date
    :        11/26/2009
    Time
    :        6:52:16 PM
    User
    :        N/A
    Computer
    :    YUHRTW
    Description
    :
    Faulting application explorer.exeversion 6.0.2900.5512faulting module unknownversion 0.0.0.0fault address 0xffff01ab.

For 
    more informationsee Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    000041 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail
    75 72 65 20 20 65 78 70   ure  exp
    0018: 6c 6f 72 65 72 2e 65 78   lorer.ex
    65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 39   e 6.0.29
    0028: 30 30 2e 35 35 31 32 20   00.5512 
    69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f   in unkno
    0038: 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30   wn 0.0.0
    2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66   .0 at of
    0048: 66 73 65 74 20 66 66 66   fset fff
    66 30 31 61 62 0d 0a      f01ab.. 
    Yet, after I entered the above M$ link into the address bar, I got this: [PHP]This page cannot be found[PHP].
    Does anyone knows what to do next?
    frustrated yurka

I'd suggest you run system file check. If not familiar,got to Start>Run and type in: "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes,but with the space after 'c'). Have your XP disk handy(with the appropriate service pack onboard),it will ask for the disk. When finished,it will simply go away. Then reboot...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

Don't worry about not being able to access that web page, it won't give you any useful info anyway

I agree about System File Check.
    Nick.

yurka--I disagree with SuperSparks here. There is a lot more info in Event Viewer than most people realize. And part of the procedure is to click that link.

Event Viewer (Start|Administrative Tools|Event Viewer). Click on "System" in the left panel. Do you see RedBall error icon(s) timestamped at the exact time the problem occurred? If so, click on the RedBall. The first message will have some data on what the problem is, but usually it is not too easy to understand. Click the blue go.microsoft.com link. On the next window click the link to send a report to Microsoft. Another window should open (though it may take some time for the information in the right panel to appear) which may offer some more understandable info and maybe even a solution.

BUT you say that clicking the blue go.com link results in an error message. I see that the http:\ part of the link is in a different color from the link and perhaps not part of the active link. Try copying the link including the http:\ part, paste into the Address line, click Enter. See if you can proceed. Remember the right panel on the THIRD window takes time to come up.

Other ideas if SFC and Event Viewer do not help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293623
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20984530.html
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

System file check changed nothing (it took hours to run the scan, I had to click Retry at least a dozen times(!)). I discovered the reason for all my troubles quite serendipitously: I noticed "Norton Security Scan" (or something like it) in my Start>Programs. Apparently, it sneakily installed itself during Norton System Works installation. I run the latter occasionally, and always from disc. The last time, after inserting the dick, it didn't offer its usual menu which includes an option "Run from Disc". Therefore, installing the program was my only option. I even created a Restore Point, then realized that the PC will restore to its original pre-System Works state but somehow forgot to uninstall System Works! Somehow it messed up the Windows Explorer!
    Shortly after my loyal Revo Uninstaller uninstalled Norton Security Scan, I had to restart the PC, for unrelated reasons. Wow! Windows Explorer ain't sick anymore! (Incidentally, despite the warning "WE needs to close...", it was functional: I could open it and change settings). So, I uninstalled Norton System Works as well, restarted and now everything is back to normal.
    I C+Ped Ridgerunr's and Welshjim's instructions, for possible use in the future. I just wonder, what files are checked and what for, by sfc?
    frustrated yurka

yurka--Glad to hear all is well.
    (it took hours to run the scan, I had to click Retry at least a dozen times(!)).
    The usual reason for that is the Source Path is not correctly entered into the Registry. (or maybe the Source path(s) for the Service Pack Cache files is not entered correctly.)
    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_tell_win...has_moved.html
    That is a link in the reference Train provided.
    Jim

Welshjim,
    I said something too soon and it turned out to be incorrect. After two or three reboots I saw the familiar popup again: "Windows Explorer...". So, I am back to square one. I followed your instructions re: Event Viewer, and on page Windows XP>How to>... after entering Error ID 1000 received: Search engine temporarily out of order. So, instead of waiting for M$ team to fix the engine,I googled
    Windows XP error 1000
    . It's easier for you to repeat my Google search exactly as I entered it (without "ID") and click on top link. I am not sure it's about my case. It is possible that my problem began after an Automatic Update (a quite frequent event; I normally allow an update, unless it's going to install IE7 - I am happy with IE6, use IE only to go to M$ website (it sometimes refuses download something using MoFF) and feel very uncomfortable with IE7. Be as it may, as I am not sure that "You receive an error message..." is about my problem, I do not want to spend time following quite complicated instructions to correct a phantom problem. I'd rather wait for M$ Search Engine repaired to hear the solution from the horse's mouth.
    frustrated yurka

yurka--If I google the data from your first post (Windows XP event source application error event id 1000 faulting Application explorer.exe) , I get over 30,000 hits.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Windo...e7&rlz=1I7ADBF
    And many of these deal with iexplore.exe, not explorer.exe.
    Please go back to my first post and follow the directions exactly for Event Viewer. You do not have to enter anything ("after entering Error ID 1000 "). Just click the links and wait for the right panel in the third window to appear. It could take a minute. Copy what you see and post.
    Following the links should get you to just info specific to your error/problem. If I google I get all the generic possiblities.
    Jim

I followed your instructions but Windows behaves inconsistently: once Help and Support opened and I saw a line “Send this info to Microsoft”, but then (and now) it shows two lines: “Ask a friend to help” and “Go to a Windows Web site forum”.
    In the right pane I can read this:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 7022
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
    The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
    If the service does not restart, click Start, click Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, and then start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

Version: 5.0
    Component: System Event Log
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_START_HUNG

Explanation
    The specified service is stuck in the start pending state. The service failed to indicate that it is making progress within the time period indicated in its last status message.

User Action
    If the service does not restart, use Services in Control Panel\Administrative Tools to start the service manually. If the problem persists, contact the service vendor.

Related Knowledge Base articles
    You can find additional information on this topic in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
    • Event ID 7022 After Installing Sybase PowerDynamo 3.0

When you start your computer, the following services may not start and may record event ID 7022 messages in the System log: FTP Publishing service Network News Transport Protocol (NNTP) Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) World Wide Web...
    • "The Net Logon Service Hung on Starting" Is Recorded in the System Even Log After You Run Dcpromo.exe

After you run the Dcpromo.exe tool and restart the computer, the following information may be logged in the System event log on the new domain controller: Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7022...
    • XADM: Exchange Server Services Do Not Start and System Log Shows Event ID 7022

In Exchange 2000 Server, some or all Exchange Server services may not start when you restart the server. When you try to manually start the services, it may take several minutes before some of the services start. Also, you may see one or more of...
    • The Removable Storage Service Hangs on Startup

After you install Windows 2000, the following error message may be displayed in the System Event log: Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7022 Description: The Removable Storage service hung on...
    • XIMS: Event ID 7022 Contains an Error in the Description

There is an error in the description for Event ID 7022, which contains the word "service" twice. If you receive the following event log error: Event ID: 7022 Source: Service Control Manager Category: None Description:The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4...
    • MS DTC fails to start and logs Event ID: 4383

Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) fails to start, and the following event is logged in the Application Event Log: In addition, the following events are logged in the System Event Log: -and-
    • PRB: Error "Service Failed to Start" When You Reboot After You Uninstall Commerce Server SP1

After you uninstall Commerce Server 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you may receive the following error message every time you restart the computer: The following event is logged in the System Event Log:
    • System Errors When You Open World Wide Publishing Service or Administrative Tools Services

When you try to start the World Wide Publishing Service, you may receive the following error message: In addition, when you try to open Services from Administrative Tools, you may receive the following error message: When you restart the computer, you...
    • Err Msg: At Least One Service or Driver Failed During System Startup...

When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message: At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details. This behavior can occur if the NetBios data value is...
    • RPC, Protected Storage Services May Not Start on Workstation with Novell IntranetWare Client

When you are using the Novell IntranetWare client version 4.50 or later on a computer running Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0, the protected storage service that depends on remote procedure call (RPC) service may not start and you may receive the...
    • SNADDM Service Fails If Install Directory Path Is Too Long

If the path specified for the install directory for SNA Server 4.0 and OLE DB Provider for AS/400 and VSAM 1.0 is too long, the SNA DDM Service will not start properly. In one example, the path name specified during installation is 107 bytes long....
    • SNMP Entry Point not Found

After you install the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) service on your Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 2 or later computer you may receive the following error message: SNMP Error - Entry point not found. The procedure entry point...
    • Event ID 5774 occurs when domain controller is slow to start

A Microsoft Windows 2000 domain controller may take a long time to start, and the following events may be reported in the application event log: Event ID: 5774 Source: NETLOGON Type: Error Description: Registration of the DNS record 'DNS record'...
    • Error message when you start the Front End service on a Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 server: "error code -1007780547"

Describes a problem in which you cannot start the Front End service. Additionally, you receive an "error code -1007780547" error message.
    • Hung Server Service, Event 7022 w/ Many DLC Printers Connected

When you configure your Windows NT computer to connect to many network print devices using the DLC protocol, one or both of the following symptoms occur: The following event appears in the System Log (as seen in the Event Viewer): Event ID: 7022...
    • Update Available for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service

The Background Intelligent Transfer service is used by programs (such as Windows AutoUpdate) to download files by using spare bandwidth. The Background Intelligent Transfer service can maintain file transfers through network disconnections and...
    • PRLNTSS.SYS Error After Applying Compaq SSD

After you install Compaq Support Software Diskette (SSD) version 1.13 or later, a Service Control Manager error may appear indicating a service or device failed to start. The system log may contain Event ID 7022 or 7026 referencing PRLNTSS.SYS....
    • Error Message: Event ID 7022: The Messenger Service Hung on Starting

When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message: Service Control Manager indicates that at least one service or driver failed to start - check the Event Viewer for details. When this occurs, the following entry may be...
    • Services do not start and Event ID 7022 is logged in the System log in Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003

You may experience the following symptoms: When you start your computer, you may receive a message that states that one or more services did not start. If other users try to access your computer over the network, they may not be able to locate your...
    • The "Preparing network connections" stage of startup takes longer than two minutes after you install security update 914388 on a Windows 2000-based computer

Describes an issue in which the Preparing network connections stage of startup takes longer than two minutes after you install security update 914388 on a Windows 2000-based computer. Provides a workaround.
    • Event IDs 4318 and 4224: WINS Database Missing or Corrupt

When you restart your Windows NT server that is running Windows Internet Name Service (WINS), the following error message may be displayed: WINS could not come up due to missing/corrupt database. Restore the database using WINS Manager or...
    • The User Name Mapping service does not start if the network cable is unplugged

If you start Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 and if the network cable is unplugged, the User Name Mapping service does not start. Additionally, the event log will register the following error messages: Error 1003: Warning - "Mapping...
    • The MSExchange Transport and MSExchangeIS services do not start after a server restart

Describes an issue in which the MSExchange Transport and MSExchangeIS services do not start after a server restart.
    • FIX: Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) does not start when you use the IISRESET /RESTART command to restart IIS 7.0 on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

Fixes an issue in which you have the Event 7001 and Event 7022 logged in application event log when you use the ISRESET command to restart IIS 7.0 in Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.
    • XADM: Store.exe Does Not Respond Upon Start After You Apply Service Pack 1 with a Previous Installation of an Earlier Version of Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange

When you apply Service Pack 1 (SP1) to an Exchange 2000 Server computer that also runs a version of Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange earlier than version 3.05.10.109, the Information Store service (Store.exe) may unexpectedly stop...
    • IIS stops responding after you apply updates

After you apply certain updates for Microsoft Windows 2000 on a server that is running Internet Information Services (IIS), you may see the following behavior: You cannot access Web sites on the server. You cannot open the Internet Services Manager...
    • Error message when you modify the "Impersonate a client after authentication" policy setting in Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1: "There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper"

Describes a solution for a problem that occurs when services and network communication fail after you upgrade to Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Honestly, I did not read it too close because today I found this: http://helpwithwindows.com/techfiles...r-crashes.html
    I followed the advice, yet it’s too soon for results to show, for two reasons: 1. Tonight the error message did not pop up (it rarely happened before as well), although red error was present in Event Viewer, about hanging (hanging occurs as well but it lasts only a few minutes and does not repeat after “Restart” and 2. I rebooted only once and did not see a pop up error window; a short partial hang up occurred and Network Connnection has not started as usual. I say “partial hang up” as I was able to move the pointer, but could not click on anything.
    I disabled almost every shell extension not belonging to M$. Give me a few days to see the effects, if any.
    frustrated yurka

yurka--Event Viewer did give some ideas what may be happening. It seems two of your Services are not starting. One is the Service Control Manager
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...50(VS.85).aspx
    The other seems to be something to do with Event Viewer, but you are getting a report from Event Viewer, so that is a little strange. ("System Event Log" is a print out from Event Viewer.)
    If I were smarter maybe I could figure out what the problem really is. Open Services and see if those items have Started. Their Startup Type should be on Automatic. And Remote Call Procedure should also be Started and Automatic.
    Perhaps of help
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-189395.php
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../SPTCF_SYS.doc
    That "Ask a friend..." and the other message seem a bit strange for Microsoft. Have you scanned for malware?
    But good for you for finding the other reference. By all means see if that fixes things before trying something else.
    Jim

Thanks for your time.
    I agree that something strange happens, first of all the inconsistency of Help and Support - I never clicked "Ask a Friend" - perhaps when I do, I'll see your name...:-).
    However, I saw "Send this info to M$" only once.
    So far nothing helped. I even tried to repair LAC 5 - double screen icon in Systray and followed this site support.microsoft.com/kb/919746 instructions [I am not sure the correct address will appear, it looks strange, so here it is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746 ]. WinEx error message pops up 50% of the time (so far I went through two reboots :-) ). Regardless, Internet connection (doublescreened icon) takes 3-4 min (!) to set itself. In addition, a small very unobtrusive program called TClockEx that I've had for at least 10 years and that adorns my display and make boring Windows lovelier sometimes (randomly) does not open. When I clicked Ask a Friend to Help (in Help and Support), I got this:
    Remote Assistance
    Pick how you want to contact your assistant
    Use Windows Messenger ...
    Windows Messenger
    Not online
    Invite this person
    Windows Messenger is not installed
    Download Windows Messenger
    [I deliberately do not install WinMes - it's such a nuisance! Pops up at its own will, not mine]
    Tonight Event Viewer shows Error ID 1000 -Source: Application Error. Right pane in Help and Support Center is even longer for ID 1000 than it was for ID 7022; yet it does not look that any of the possible causes could be mine - not only I never use listed applications, my problem appears just after window starts, before all programs actually start.
    I am going to research your links and will come back later, tonight or tomorrow.
    frustrated yurka

Progress Report #1:
    Your top link is purely educational. At the bottom they asked me to send my opinion to M$. I complied, asking M$ to kindly send me a fix (if it exists).
    Your second link - I installed Spyware Doctor; so far it says only "Unable to Connect to Spyware Doctor Engine", although I clicked Yes on all Comodo requests to allow installations. If I cannot start it tomorrow, I'll uninstall it: in addition to Avast, I have Comodo, AdAware, Webroot Antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Blaster, Malwarebytes.
    Do I really need 'Drivers Update' - I can check all the drivers manually, can't I?
    The bottom section (a forum excerpt?) requires many hours to sort out, it's getting late, I'll do it tomorrow, as well as Drivers Updater - if you say yes.
    frustrated yurka

yurka--I am having a problem relating the comments in your last post to those in my last post.
    Having said that, I feel you have reached a point where the fixes you try may be making things worse.
    I would suggest a rerun of SFC /SCANNOW, but if that results in a no more permanent solution than it did last time, then a Repair Install.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm
    Jim

I"ll follow your advice if this: doesn't help. Of course all the things he suggests are more or less familiar; although I do perform many of them, I do it relatively infrequently, i. e. I tend to forget things; in the link above they are well organized. Besides, his remedies are familiar while yours look kind of too radical to me. So, at this point I'll try simple things first. BTW, all sites, both yours and mine, suggest back up. I'll do. Yet I wonder wasn't System Restore be enough? What's your opinion?
    frustrated yurka

Thread Information