[RESOLVED] smrgdf program not found
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] smrgdf program not found

Resolved [RESOLVED] smrgdf program not found

Hello
    as the title suggests... At startup, past the Windows logo, I get a blue screen that states
    smrgdf program not found. Skipping Autocheck
    the computer then proceeds to startup normally. I am running winXp home with Windows Live One Care as my antivirus. Have not gotten any reports of spyware or viruses.
    Thanks
    Tom

Tom, That "smrgdf" appears to be related to the System Mechanic Program. Do you or did you at one time have that program installed? Found this at the link below.

1. Uninstall the program through either Control Panel>Add remove programs or throughgoing to the program folder and selecting uninstall
    2. Files will be left behind. These files should be deleted or renamed:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\smrgdf.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ioloBootDefrag.cfg
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\iolobtdfg.exe

3. A registry entry calls these programs to run, so to clean out this Boot-time call, go to the Start button on the taskbar, select Run, and then type in Regedit, which will open up the windows registry editor.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, and for the value BootExecute, if the value is (my commas) "autocheck autochk * smrgdf C:\Documents and settings\(user name here)\Application Data\iolo\ iolobtdfg C:\WINDOWS\system32" then right click on BootExecute, select to modify, and change this so it only reads as "autocheck autochk *" (don't add the "" though)

There will also likely to be the same at similar locations HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Session Manager and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager. Amend the BootExecute the same way.

You can then restart, and do the remainder of the removal process as described in the Iolo website article to be found at http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kba...x?id=KBA-01805

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...views.start=11

Tufenuf

SMRGDF.EXE is part of system mechanic 5 professional

14K Files are located at;

[%program_files%]\iolo\system mechanic 5 professional\backup\ [%PROGRAM_FILES%]\iolo\system mechanic 5\backup\ [%PROGRAM_FILES%]\iolo\system mechanic 5 professional\backup\ [%system%]\

or 24 KB files are at

[%system%]

Looks like you might have uninstalled it and something was left in the refs.

As usual you guys are the best. I did have this program installed a very long time ago. I do not know why it would pop up now.

Thanks much for the help and have a great day
    Tom

Tom, Glad to see that the problem is fixed & Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Hello To All,

This thread was just what I was looking for to eliminate the same boot up message. Thanks ever so much for this fix. This is the first time that I visited this site, and I'll be sure to return in the future. TheBeagle

Hurrah!!! Thanks all. Sorted out that little problem for me. Superb

Awsome. Thank yousoooooooooooooo much. Worked for me!!!!!!!!

Smrgdf.exe

I found this forum through a Google search as I began experiencing the same problem as the user reported here re "smrgdf program not found." Well, I've never used System Mechanic Professional on my PC & a search for "SMRGDF.EXE", including hidden files, yielded no results, i.e. the file is not there! The only program that I have recently experimented with that might resemble System Mechanic in some way is Secunia's PSI program. It tracks newly installed programs on a user's system as well as finding programs that are outdated and may be causing security threats, e.g. old Macromedia flash files. I'll try removing it from my system through A/R P & report back.

Found where the smrgdf maybe also a nasty now.
    I suggest following the instructions at http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=167915

It is very normal for one program to find what another misses. So DO get those 2nd and 3rd opinions.

Yep, I should have followed the complete instructions prior to posting! Before I got your reply, I went back & did so, and indeed found remnants of that nasty program dating back to 2005! After following the instructions, the problem is gone. My only question remaining is why would this have become an issue just within the past week? Thanks!

I have no idea, but have had that type of thing happen to me also.

Thanks.

Thumbs up

thanks a lot...

You are Welcome JOHNAROS!
    Stick around. You are where I learned most of what I post.

Thread Information