Random Freezes and Blue Screens

Thread: Random Freezes and Blue Screens

Random Freezes and Blue Screens

My computer is definetly messed up. I keep getting random blue screen errors and random freezes. I could be doing multiple tasks like having multiple explorers running or i could be doing something as simple as playing winamp or on AOL IM. I have tried everything i can think of. I've tried scan disk, norton utilities, i've looked to see if maybe i had a bad driver for something and everything looks fine. Someone help!?!? i'm lost!!!

I would check your RAM.

System freezes or lock-ups are almost always related to a video display problem. Here are some specific solutions to this problem. Try these in the order suggested:

If you are running high color depth, lower it to 256 colors.

Try setting the mouse pointer to "Windows Standard."

Lower your video acceleration. In the Control Panel click System > Performance > Graphics, and then lower the hardware acceleration one notch.

Use a different video driver. Win98 contains many. Go to the web site of your video card manufacturer and see if they offer an updated driver for your particular card.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. If you have a utility running called point32, then shut it down.

------------------
    "I feel that there is a world market for as many as five computers" Thomas Watson, IBM corp. - 1943

[This message has been edited by Theoran (edited 03-29-2001).]
    ===============================================

| The Ramblings of Theoran | An Omnimaxx Fan |

All of the RAM tests that i have run have all come out clean. Now, thats not saying that there's nothing wrong with my RAM, but everything i have run has come out OK.

I dont understand what you are trying to tell me to do with the WP command line. could you be a lil more clear?

My video acceleration was at the max so i put it down a notch.

I'm sorry Coupy21, That was my fault. I forgot to delete that part. I removed it. I copied and pasted to much

Have you tried updating your video drivers?
    Has this problems always occurred?
    if not, when did it start?

------------------
    "I feel that there is a world market for as many as five computers" Thomas Watson, IBM corp. - 1943
    ===============================================

| The Ramblings of Theoran | An Omnimaxx Fan |

it occured about around Christmas time. i've had a lil problem with it randomly shutting down everyonce in awhile, but nothing real big. But now it has just gotten a lot worse, and i bet i have to shut down and restart my computer 10-15 times a day now b/c i get so many errors and freezes. and other programs that i have running like AOL IM, winamp, a mixer, etc.... have been randomly shuttin down also, i'll get a program error message and it says that it has to close them.

Hi, Coupy. Do have an on-board sound card or video card by chance?
    I had a problem like this with a friends PC. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally I disabled the on-board sound card and it hasn't locked up since.

I have an on-board video and sound card. I put a new PCI sound card. So i had to disable the onboard sound card already, but the onboard video card is still enabled.

If you have another video card to use you can disable the on-board vid. But I would try finding updated drivers first.

I found the updated drivers, and updated them, and it was fine for a lil while, but then i got 3 blue screen errors right after one another. i dont have an extra vid card. do you think that this might also have to do with my other programs shuttin down by themselves?

For what its worth I had similar problems until I changed my PSU from a generic 235watt to an Enermax 330watt. System now stable at last.
    Paul

Make sure that the cpu fan is working properly. Another thing to try is 'Remove and reseat the cpu, ram, and all cards'.

hey buf...i'm having similiar problems and i'm getting an audible buzz from the fan area. how are these related? thanks.

Originally posted by olaf2000:
    hey buf...i'm having similiar problems and i'm getting an audible buzz from the fan area. how are these related? thanks.
    I was just considering that the cpu may be overheating. A noisy fan may mean that it is not turning fast enough, is very dirty, it is obstructed, or even that it is ready to fail.

One way to determine if it's heat related is to take the cover off the case and aim a house fan directly at the motherboard. if the trouble dissapears, then it's likely CPU or Vid card overheat.

Unstable power supplies can cause unstability and may be worth trying a replacement if it's over a few years old or has reached wattage threshold due to added hardware.

Have you tried running Wintune?
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-1.3786548

------------------

It's either that or it's into the woodchipper

Thread Information