computer freeze

Thread: computer freeze

computer freeze

I am still having probelms with my computer freezing up. I did as some suggested and ran the scan disk and defrag, but it still does it. Any other suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to all those that replied.

System freezes or lock-ups are almost always related to a video display problem. Here are some specific solutions to this problem. Try these in the order suggested:

+ If you are running high color depth, lower it to 256 colors.

+ Try setting the mouse pointer to "Windows Standard."

+ Lower your video acceleration. In the Control Panel click System > Performance > Graphics, and then lower the hardware acceleration one notch.

+ Use a different video driver. Win95 contains many. Go to the web site of your video card manufacturer and see if they offer an updated driver for your particular card.

+ Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. If you have a utility running called point32, then shut it down.

I would also check your memory (RAM). Make sure it is properly seated. If you have two stick of RAM I would take one out and see if you get the freeze ups. If not try the other one and see.

------------------
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    ===============================================

| The Ramblings of Theoran | An Omnimaxx Fan |

Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I will try it as soon as possible.

Theoran,
    How do I check the video thing you told me about? I have Windows 98. I don't know much about computers. Thank you for your suggestions.
    April

Rewritten for Theoran:

Originally posted by Theoran:

Start > Settings > In the Control Panel click System > Performance > Graphics, and then lower the hardware acceleration one notch.

------------------
    ATHLON 750, GA-71XE, 256 SDRAM, 20 GB 7200 Maxtor, 32 MB G400, SB Live, win98se, Centurytel DSL
    ATHLON 750, GA-71XE, 512 SDRAM, 80 GB 7200 Seagate, 32 MB Matrox G400, 16X DVD-Rom, 16X CD-RW, Promise 100, SB Live, WinXP Pro SP2, NetGear WGR614, Adaptec DuoConnect, Verizon FiOS 5/2.

Thread Information