Copy/paste does not work in Firefox

Thread: Copy/paste does not work in Firefox

Copy/paste does not work in Firefox

I have been using Firefox for over a year now and really like it. However, recently copy/paste has stopped working in it and it is driving me nuts.

When I open a Firefox broswer, copy/paste works the first time. However, after that copy doesn't work. Whatever I paste is always the last thing I cut or copied outside of Firefox. It doesn't matter whether I use ctrl-c or a context sensitive menu to do the copy. If I do a ctrl-x the highlighted text is removed, but when I try to paste what I just cut I get whatever I last cut or copied outside of Firefox.

It doesn't appear to matter where I try to do the paste. It could be elsewhere in the Firefox browser or it could be outside of Firefox, like Outlook, Word, or some non-Microsoft application. Copy/cut seems to work normally everywhere outside of Firefox.

If I close and reopen the Firefox browser, copy/cut works the first time but not after that. I have tried reinstalling Firefox, but it still behaves this way. I am using Windows XP with SP2 and Firefox 2.0.0.1.

Any ideas?

Al

Hi just solved same problem as you have by reading this article http://www.winportal.com/chat_sin.asp?ObjectID=10567

i did a search for pushow and found quite a few but with different numbers to those mentioned in article. i was able to delete all but one from the search results. the remaining one was delete in safe mode with cmd prompt.

result i now have full cut/copy and paste capabilities.

hope this helps and thanks to originator of the thread i have posted to you

Thanks for you reply, Midds. I appreciate your taking the time to tell me about your solution.

Actually after I posted on VirtualDr I did more digging on the internet and found a forum (http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/firefo...ste-bug-fixed/) that had a lot of info on this problem. It appears lots of people are affected by this bug and it looks like it has existed for many versions of Firefox. But it also appears there are many causes and solutions that work for some people don't work for others. E.g. I searched for but did not have any pushow* files.

I tried all the solutions in that forum and none of them worked. The last one I tried was to go back to an older version of Firefox that was recommended. That also did not work. So for the time being I went back to IE. As much as I prefer FF not being able to copy paste for me is a show-stopper. Then after several days I decided to try FF again and this time it was working. Go figure.

I recently came across the FF extension "IE Tab" which lets you toggle a tab in FF between FF and IE. I'm hopeful that the next time I encounter the copy/paste problem that might provide an interim work-around.

Your reply to my problem has reminded me I meant to come back here and add the forum link I found.

Al

Thread Information