[RESOLVED] Empty Entertainment File in Accessories

Thread: [RESOLVED] Empty Entertainment File in Accessories

Resolved [RESOLVED] Empty Entertainment File in Accessories

I'm running XP and I've installed a language program that uses a microphone but can't make it work. I tried going to Programs>accessories>entertainment to adjust the sound recorder but the entertainment file is empty. I called mircrosoft to see how to fix it but they want to charge $59 and I don't see a fix in the FAQ. I went to IBM and they said I would have to uninstall, reinstall XP, loosing all my files in the process. I also tried adding windows components in the control panel but entertainment isn't there. I also tried to download from my XP CD but it isn't there either....

Lightbulb Try this

Open the control panel
    Select sounds and audio devices
    Select advanced

If you do not see a microphone slider

Select options
    Select properties
    Scroll down and check the box next to microphone

Move the slider up to the top, un check the mute box.

You now should have a working microphone input.

If you cant do this, you may need to reinstall or repair windows.

brookfort, Go to the link below and download "AccRestore v2.0" Unzip it and run the .exe. It should correct your problem.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm

Welcome to the forum,

Tufenuf

Red face

Wow - thanks so much - immediately fixed the problem!

brookfort, Glad to see that the problem is fixed and Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Hey thanks loads I had the same problem--fixed zippo! thanks. BUT I am lacking sndrec32 and am computer unable to record. Anyway of getting this file?
    lar

Have your windows xp cd handy, click start, run, type "sfc /scannow" and press enter. Check if it works after that has finished. If not, try "sfc /purgecache" after the scannow command. Let me know if it works after the scannow or if it works after the purgecache command just so i know...

Quote Originally Posted by lar View Post
    Hey thanks loads I had the same problem--fixed zippo! thanks. BUT I am lacking sndrec32 and am computer unable to record. Anyway of getting this file?
    lar
    lar, Another option is to go into Folder Options>View tab and select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)", click Apply/OK. Now go into Windows Explorer and open the C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder and locate the sndrec32.exe file, right click it and choose "Copy". Now open the C:Windows\System32 folder and in an empty space right click and choose "Paste". Your problem should be solved.

Tufenuf

Thread Information