Repairing XP thru making the drive an external

Thread: Repairing XP thru making the drive an external

Repairing XP thru making the drive an external

Got a laptop with a broken CD drive. Can't get to boot to that drive. I took out the HD and am scanning it as an external with my fancy USB to IDE cord.

Is there any way to repair Windows externally like this.

The problem with the Windows is that it starts to boot to the Windows screen with the first progression bar and then it blue screens for a half a second and then restarts.

I am thinking that I just delete stuff that is on this HD like printers and programs that is easily downloadable like Adobe Reader, antivirus, etc. Then maybe I can get to a point that I found the bug.

What is the best to do with this? I have tried to boot from and external usb CD drive but it will not boot to it.

This is a late model lappy with a 2.4ghz processor and 512 ram and 60gb HD that is only 7 gigs full.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

Replace the cd drive is the cheap and easy fix.

Examples:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20DVD%20Burner

Yours is probably a ide one.

Well it's a eMachines M5310 laptop. Got to look in the Dev Mgr to get model number hopefully. There is no ejection for this drive so I will be extracting it manually. Ok, more research.

By the way, after I scanned the hd with my desktop and did a chkdsk the beast booted into Windows on the lappy. Still would like to reformat though, if you know what I mean.
    Thanks, JB

Understand and why I linked in the laptop drives.

That's great thanks. I am going to go look into and exploded view of the guts now. Maybe from Emachine.
    Thanks, JB

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    That's great thanks. I am going to go look into and exploded view of the guts now. Maybe from Emachine.
    just for laughs i would like to see an "exploded view" of a laptop/pc that was actually blown-up with explosives. that would be pretty funny. even funnier if it was all technical and had a caption like "exploded view of a dell dimension 8250" or something like that

Thread Information