Force IP change with Comcast cable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force IP change with Comcast cable

Force IP change with Comcast cable

I was wondering if there's anyway to force an IP address change with comcast cable without replacing the network card? Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure if a release / renew would do it ... but think a power down and disconnect of the cable on your modem for a few minutes... then reattached would do it for you.
    Then again ... might not work! ;-) Give it a try and let us know....
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

Thanks for the reply. A comcast rep instructed me to unplug the cable from the modem for 20 seconds, then reconnect it. However, this didn't work. I also tried leaving the cable disconnected over night, but still the same IP. Then today, I tried disconnecting the power from the modem and leaving it like that all day. This didn't work either. Have tried ipconfig /release , ipconfig /renew. Looks like I'll have to wait for it to change, which it does every so often.

The reason I wanted to do this was because I sent an email I shouldn't have while I was under the influence of about 9 beers. :-) I apologized to the person but I'm afraid of reprocusions. Do you think the IP could be traced back to my account? I already deleted the email address I used from my comcast account. Any future emails sent to that address will just bounce back.
    Last edited by DavieGravy; January 23rd, 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Getting info based on an IP address is actually pretty hard, assuming you're doing all the normal stuff like running a firewall of some sort. They'd be able to find out it's a Comcast IP address very easily, but getting details out of Comcast would require a court order.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks tuttle. I appreciate the resposne as it puts my mind at ease. I suppose deleting the email address from my account was a smart move.

I guess the moral of the story here is don't drink and email.

Could you change the MAC address of your router? It works down here in AZ.
    I ran the PF Chang's 26.2 Mile Marathon.

brianskurka, I don't have a router as I only have one computer in my home (that's connected to the internet anyway). Do you mean change the mac address of the cable modem? If so, unfortunately not as it doesn't have web configuration built into it.

No I meant change the MAC address of the routers WAN port, since you don't have a router that won't work. You could always swap and/or add a different network card.
    I ran the PF Chang's 26.2 Mile Marathon.

I guess swapping the nic is one option, however this is a work lap top so I'm not too inclined to mess with it. Funnily enough I can actually leave my modem disconnected and leach of my neighbor's wireless connection. If my modem's disconnected, would comcast know which cable modem on wich account that IP address was last assigned to?

OK, connecting the modem via USB was the solution to changing my ip. My modem does actually have web configuration but I didn't see any options to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieGravy
    If my modem's disconnected, would comcast know which cable modem on wich account that IP address was last assigned to?
    All that sort of stuff is generally logged. How long those logs are kept for varies -- generally an ISP would want to keep them for the shortest possible time which is still adequate for troubleshooting and meets any legislative requirements. The less they keep, the less they have to deal with when subpoenaed.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

I'm sure you're correct in that they do keep logs. However, I doubt anything will come of it. Either way I guess I did everything I could.

Oh by the way, noticed you're in Adelaide. I've been there. Actually have family out there. It's beautiful country although I imagine it gets pretty hot and humid during the summer. I was out October of 2005.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DavieGravy
    I was wondering if there's anyway to force an IP address change with comcast cable without replacing the network card? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Not sure if this will help you but others may want to know.

If you have a Router then do a MAC clone off another PC or make one up and reset and this will change your IP at comcast. USB connection also works only because onboard or network card keeps the same MAC. USB is another MAC.

If you only have one network card then shift your MAC id.

The best way is to have a cable router " you should use a router with your cable modem " and then its easy to clone and/or make your own to get the IP to change.

The Cable modem is a dumb box that allows the digital to and from but comcast but needs and reads the MAC on what ever you have connected to it.

Remember the cable modem is a dumb box and used to read write digital. What ever is connected to it matters.

Welcome to the site!

I dont think cloning the mac is a good idea,what happens if they do a check for dupe macs?? (Ya gotta remember stuff like that!!)

Hack a comcast modem and become a ex customer. Even if you own the modem.

Thread Information