Slaving A Sata Drive !

Thread: Slaving A Sata Drive !

Slaving A Sata Drive !

Hi All,
    Need to slave a sata drive to retrieve OLD data...'the drive is faulty', read up that you can just connect an ide cable to the cdrom drive and boot up the system from the ide disk...my problem is i can't see any power lead cable to connect up the ide disk...anyone have a solution ? ....
    Thanks.
    TF.

Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense..
    You made several references to IDE but also said you want to slave a SATA drive?

Do you have a system that uses both IDE and SATA?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Hi Steve,
    Got a Dell Optiplex GX280 system with a faulty hard drive...i'm trying to get the data off it...the drive is faulty but i'm hoping that although the operating system is screwed the data is salvagable so i'm trying to connect the disk up in an alternate configuration where i can extract the data from the sata disk...i read of someone who resolved a similar situation with an identical machine by installing a bootable ide disk onto the cdrom drive and apparently booted up the system from the ide disk and subsequently extracted the data...i've connected the ide cable to the disk but i can't see where to connect the power lead to the ide disk...

Your question is a bit on the fuzzy side.

#1: Do you have a SATA connector on the motherboard? If so, just set up the drive (the hard drive jumper set as Master) and transfer the data from there to your IDE(?) drive. If the mobo is not SATA capable, you will have to get a SATA to IDE converter and hook it up to the Secondary IDE or slave to another IDE hard drive.

#2: "'the drive is faulty', read up that you can just connect an ide cable to the cdrom drive and boot up the system from the ide disk...". Please clarify what it is you are trying to do here. Why connect an IDE cable to a CD-ROM if you are booting from an IDE hard drive? Sorry, but this procedure doesn't make much sense and appears unrelated to your post's topic. What error message are you getting exactly?

#3: If you have no more power leads (Molex 4-pin), you will either have to disconnect one that isn't being used or get a "Y" adapter/splitter. If you meant to say a SATA power lead (and your power supply does not have one), you will need to get an IDE to SATA power adapter.

The back of the IDE Hard drive should look like that^^^

If you don't have enough molex plugs, then you'll need a splitter as Bistro mentioned.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Guys...thanks very much for the responses...i feel like i'm confusing

both yourself and myself..

I expect your right about the splitter...

The pc is a standard dell optiplex gx280...the sata disk has a foxconn

cable going to the m/b...

In relation to 'Bistro' question 1, the hard drive is faulty so i'm

unsure changing the jumper settings will achieve anything although i

maybe wrong...thats why i'm trying to setup some sort of slave

environment of some description

In relation to question 2...dell has already supplied a replacement

disk as this particular sata disk has failed its diagnostic tests and

is regarded as duff .. i'm unsure whether i'll actually be able to

retrieve any data from the disk..i'm just looking to setup an

environment where i can see whether the data is extractable..i've no

doubt taken a long winded approach in explaining myself...

In relation to question 3...there only appears one power lead...the

cdrom and floppy are on the same bit of cable ... there is a plastic 6

pin female empty connector which is probably in place to provide some

sort of additional cabling...

Thanks for reading this, apologies for my possible perceived

ignorance..i don't tend to look inside to often...thanks for your

responses....TF

Install the replacemant drive and install Windows on it. Then you need to plug the original drive into a spare SATA port on the mobo. If you don't have any spare power connectors then you'll need one of these:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
    Nick.

Thanks again for the time and effort people have taken to read and respond to this post...i've found a dell GX620 tower system which comes with 2 sata drives so i'm gonna remove the second disk, install the faulty one and see what gives....thanks again...TF

You might find these two excellent freeware file recovery programs useful, they have been successful in recovering data for many of our members in the past:

PC Inspector

Restoration
    Nick.

Thread Information