Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated Hard Drive

Thread: Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated Hard Drive

Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated Hard Drive

I couldn't get the Storage thread on VirtualDR to work so I thought I would post this question here since I am using Windows XP Pro. I have a friend who gave me a hard drive that he has some information on that he would like to recover.

I hooked it up in my computer but in my Disk Management it says "Unknown, Not Initialized, and Unallocated. What exactly does this mean? I can't seem to access anything on the drive. I have attached a screenshot of the hard drive in Disk Management.
    Last edited by ginky4; August 31st, 2007 at 06:47 AM.

It means that the partitioning and formatting information has either been wiped, or is corrupted. Your only hope of recoverng any info is with file recovery software. Here are two excellent freeware file recovery programs, many of our members have had a good deal of success with them:

PC Inspector

Restoration
    Nick.

I tried those 2 programs but they were of no help but thanks for the suggestions.

UNKNOWN NOT INTIALIZED

Be careful with the recovery software. they will recover your data but in raw format unless you pay over 2000 dollars. If you have allot of data, this is almost as bad as not having the data. It;s gets very messy and I have done hundreds of recoveries. Then I just search the new volume for files requested: *.doc *.xls, *.pst, .etc etc.

Before you go that route, I would check on the file system and make sure your O/S can read file system on the new drive. Also, check your jumper settings and cable select should be ok. Older drives are flakey and I would set the jumpers to cable select and if not then slave. You can also try mounting the drive manually from a command prompt. Good Luck.

DRJB, this thread is over 2 years old. Please don't resurrect old dead threads.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Ditto what Midknyte said. I'm sure Ginky has found a solution by now. Having said that, I'm now closing this thread.

Thread Information