Split screen in two part on one single monitor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split screen in two part on one single monitor

Split screen in two part on one single monitor

Hi there !

I'm looking a way to split my screen in two section on my widescreen lcd so that I can have 2 differents desktops at the same time. So far I've try several programs but most of them only offers one display at a time...(ATI Hydravision, Windows Desktop Manager)

If you have any solution please share with me

Thanks in advance !

Hi Rogue2007, welcome to Virtual Dr

I hesitate to say that anything is impossible when it comes to computers, but I know of nothing that can do what you want other than to go to a dual monitor setup (which is very easy to do). Or the other alternative would be to run a Virtual Machine in Windows using Virtual PC or VMWare, so that you can run a suitably sized virtual machine on top of the host PC window.
    Nick.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like on my main (widescreen) monitor:
    Nick.

Rogue2007--It is easy to view two different Windows windows or IE windows in split screen. Open the two windows, right click on a blank spot in the Taskbar and choose Tile Horizontally or Vertically. But I suspect SuperSparks' advice is the way to do this for two versions of Desktops.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi Rogue2007,
    I agree with SuperSparks about using a dual monitor setup with either two video cards or one dual monitor card, like im using. I also dont know any way to split one big monitor into two. If you do decide to try a multi monitor setup, you and use a program called Ultra Monitor to add a task bar to the second monitor.
    www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
    Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
    Billy

Thumbs down Why

What is your goal, why do you want to have 2 desktops on one monitor.

At work we use 2 so that we can have 2 full size windows open one in each monitor. To better view our work.

With the wide screen you can have two full size windows open next to each other. Mission accomplished.
    You could watch TV on one side and surf the web on the other.

The reason why no one has put together software to split your monitor and view 2 desktops at the same time is because it would provide no real benifit to the user.

If you build it they will come.

Not sure if your still looking?

Here are a couple of suggestions

SplitView & iShadow

Andy, please note that this thread is about 12 months old
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

but the author is still alive

Thanks for the help :P

Well in that case... I use WinSplit Revolution.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

WinSplit Revolution

WinSplit is a good attempt, but when I would like to lunch full screen mode application in the right part of the 16:9 screen and another one in the left part of the screen it will not work as expected. I really need the two desktops too. E.g.: I would like to watch movie in the left part of the scr. and work on my documents in th right part of the scr. ...or I would like to debug any fullscr. app. on the left side and watch the debug output on thr right side.
    If any programmer reads this and he/she have a lot of time, he/she could do it e.g. by calling:

HDESK WINAPI CreateDesktop(
    LPCTSTR lpszDesktop,
    LPCTSTR lpszDevice,
    LPDEVMODE pDevmode,
    DWORD dwFlags,
    ACCESS_MASK dwDesiredAccess,
    LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpsa
    );

function. Thanks a lot.
    B.

Application for virtual -non-switching desktops

I have an application that I think might be better run on a single monitor virtually split into 2.

I currently run CAD applications with 2 19" lcd monitors. I would like to get more height but all new lcd monitors seem to be only offered in widescreen formats. Going to 20w, 22w doesn't give me any significant increase in height.

Two 24w's are a possibility but I was thinking that a single 30w that I could simulate dual screens on might be less expensive less taxing on my video card.

I have not yet found any applications that let me virtually break up a single display into multiple desktops that are are not "switching" but are available simultaneously.

The time line on this thread is fascinating.

5 posts 01/06/2007
    1 post 01/14/2007
    2 posts 12/19/2007
    2 posts 12/20/2007 Author still alive!.
    1 post 03/13/2008
    1 post 10/26/2008 Hopefully Author still alive, but is the monitor?.

Why do I think this is not an urgent project?.
    1. Dimension C521; Athlon64x2; 3.25 GHz RAM; 320GB HD; 256MB Radeon X 1300 PRO ; Windows 7 PRO - 32 bit; Windows Security Essentials; Firefox v3; MS Live Mail; MalwareBytes Antimalware.
    2. Studio XPS 7100;Studio Phenom II X61055T 2.8GHz;8 GB RAM;Radeon HD 5450;1 TB HD;Windows 7 PRO- 64 bit; Windows Security Essentials;Malwarebytes Antimalware; MS LIve Mail; Firefox v4; Acronis True Image 2011, RollBack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue2007 View Post
    Hi there !

I'm looking a way to split my screen in two section on my widescreen lcd so that I can have 2 differents desktops at the same time. So far I've try several programs but most of them only offers one display at a time...(ATI Hydravision, Windows Desktop Manager)

If you have any solution please share with me

Thanks in advance !
    I use the twinsplay application to divide the screen into two parts, also it is very useful on widescreen displays.

Widescreens monitors are becoming more and more common, in order to really use all that space, divide the widescreen, and get the feeling of having two screens using software. I use twinsplay in particular since the shortcut keys are really easy to use, in terms of hand movement it's similar to alt+tab, so it is fairly agronomic. Also twinsplay has a nice save and load feature, it allows taking a groups of application that are running and save them as a session, you can save multiple sessions with different combinations of windows. Whenever you like you can load a session and be right in the working environment you currently want to use, I'm working as programmer and those two features are really helpful for me.
    You can get twinsplay from: http://www.twinsplay.com

Hi corebirdy, welcome to VDr.

Please note the age of the threads you contribute to. This one's a bit long in the tooth now.

Would one of the mods please drive a stake through this thread?

Thread Information