Internet Gaming

Thread: Internet Gaming

Unhappy Internet Gaming

well everytime i play a server based game i lag like CRAZY!!!

and im trying to figure out why

I'm on windows xp
    i have cox cable at approx. 100 mbps

i do have a router but the wireless is turned off

please my ping just plain soars when i try to play and its buggin me like crazy

Well what is your system specs. O yeah you really don't have a 100mbps it means something else just can't put my finger on it. ITs most likely that your system needs some more memory, or a better graphics card.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Asus P5NSLI *DEAD LOL*
    3GB of Coarsir DDR2 667
    Asus 8800GTS (640MB)
    Diamond Xtreme 5.1 Sound
    2x Seagate Barracuda 320GB
    2x DVD Burners
    Netgear Wireless WG311T
    Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W
    Antec 900 Series
    2x Samsung SyncMaster 931BW 19" Widescreen DVI
    Windows XP Home SP2
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

AMD Anthlon XP 2500+ 1.83 Ghz, 512 mbs RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Ive used this computer to play this same game before without the router and it worked fine, my ping was still above average but little or no lagging occured

I prefer to fix this without spending any money
    Last edited by Blckpythn; March 6th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.

AMD Anthlon XP 2500+ 1.83 Ghz, 512 mbs RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600
    I am not much of a online gamer, but you are most likely playing against some of the newer game based systems with more up to date nic cards onboard or otherwise. Like the other poster has stated more ram and a better gfx card could help. That 2500 was a choice cpu 3 years ago but now days its a bit behind for gaming with the stuff out today. If it worked fine with out the router then I might consider unhooking the router or buying a better one.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, Ride like you've never crashed, and dance like no one's watching!!!!!

Well your gonna need to pay some cash to get it running better.

May I know which game it is because then we can figure out what you need without you spending alot.

What you will probably have to upgrade is you Memory to atleast 1GB so adding another stick of 512MB, and you graphics card to either a Geforce 6 or 7 series depending on which game it is.

And who says an AMD Anthlon XP 2500+ is bad for gaming. I had one of the orginal Socket 478 pentium 4's and it played BF 2142 great. Of course it had some better hardware with it.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    Asus P5NSLI *DEAD LOL*
    3GB of Coarsir DDR2 667
    Asus 8800GTS (640MB)
    Diamond Xtreme 5.1 Sound
    2x Seagate Barracuda 320GB
    2x DVD Burners
    Netgear Wireless WG311T
    Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W
    Antec 900 Series
    2x Samsung SyncMaster 931BW 19" Widescreen DVI
    Windows XP Home SP2
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

I did not say the 2500 was bad for gaming. It was one of the best of the 32 bit AMD's. I still have a 2800 Barton (sons system) and a 3200 Barton(my back up system). up and running. Both have unlocked multiplyers and are slightly over clocked. My sons system has a Gigabyte mainboard, 5700 U XFX and a gig of Corsair XMS. My system has a Epox mainboard,XFX 6600GT and 2 gigs of Corsair XMS memory and both game very well. But they are NOT in the same league as my main system. The new systems are much faster than anything I have and my main system was state of the art just a few short months ago. There are no bottle necks in any of my systems (the components are all pretty evenly matched) they are just obsolete. I built a new system for my girl friend for xmas with a AMD x2 cpu, Asus Nforce4 sli mainboard, 2 gigs of Corsair ddr2, 8800GTS BFG and a 20" wide screen Viewsonic lcd. I wanted a laptop so I bought one. So my upgrade cash for this year is gone, but she lets me play with her new puter once in a while.
    Last edited by rbc1100; March 7th, 2007 at 01:03 AM.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, Ride like you've never crashed, and dance like no one's watching!!!!!

I pretty much have the same system except for I have a Gig of ram and the CPu oced to 2 ghz. And don't have any ping problems. Take the router out. See if the pings return to normal. If it does you got your problem. Then call your ISP, and they'll give you the settings to set it up correctly. I added a Linksys wireless router and didn't have it set up correctly and my ping went from 30-50 to 300.
    A foolish man claims to know all, but a wise man accepts he doesn't.

What game is it?

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Mostly Team Fortress Classic but basically any server game

Thread Information