[Pro] messed up MBR

Thread: [Pro] messed up MBR

[Pro] messed up MBR

1 80 gig hard drive 3 partitions orginally was dual boot with a boot manger 98 & xp the partition that was 98 couldnt be read from the boot of xp so while in xp deleted data on it was able to use for storage could copy files to it and read them but on a reboot of xp couldn't read partition again figured MBR was messed up so did some changes in MBR now couldn't boot xp so did a new install of xp on the empty partition works except need to get the orginal xp running have tried over the top install of it don't work
    Anyone got any ideas? any of the Below work on the orginal install of xp

Boot up with the WinXP CD in the drive, and go to the Recovery Console. At the command prompt, type "Fixboot", then type "Fixmbr", then "chkdsk /r" all without the quotes.
    If that does not fix it boot into the Recovery Console again

At the command prompt, type
    Bootcfg /Rebuild
    ENTER

Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation

After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier."
    This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus.
    Type
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    or
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    ENTER
    Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options."
    For normal installations, enter
    /Fastdetect
    ENTER

Type
    Exit

What does the original XP partition show as in Disk Management? Post a screenshot if possible please.
    Nick.

I just got home from working on the pc. I ended up installing a second hard drive and installed xp on it . I will post data on the orginal xp install from when I get a chance it is still in and doing a dual boot now can still go back and view that partition. I tried everthing I know including over the top install after I had second hard drive in. Thanks for the reply

Thread Information