[RESOLVED] xp not recognizing mp3 player as an external drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] xp not recognizing mp3 player as an external drive

Resolved [RESOLVED] xp not recognizing mp3 player as an external drive

My nephew got a 4gig sony mp3 player for Christmas, when he tried it on my XP machine it was a simple case of plugging it in, it then showed up the window to view what's on the drive etc and then we just dragged and dropped the files onto it....job done.

However, when he tried it on his XP machine at home, it came up with found new hardware and and an option came up to install drivers from a disk or recommended drivers from windows, he tried windows as there is no driver disk with it and it still didn't get recognized, it just comes up with "MTP device not found".
    He came back here and tried it on my 64bit Vista machine, my XP machine, my girlfriends XP Pro machine and her 32bit Vista laptop, on all machines it was shown straight away as an external hard drive.

So what is wrong with his machine...any ideas?

Thanks

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-2...b-mass-storage
    Quote Originally Posted by Martiniko, on Saturday May 24, 2008 04:44:58 AM

Found the answer. very simple actually....

First is to ensure that the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR* start value is 3.

If you are an administrator on the machine, ensure C:\windows\system32\drivers have SYSTEM user access especially USBSTOR.SYS.

If you don't have usbstor.inf in that directory or anywhere in c:\windows, go download from the web.

Go to Device Manager an uninstall the " ? " which was a result of the failed driver installation.

Plug-in the device, then when asked where to search, point to c:\windows\system32\drivers...

Viola
    ?

Thanks for the reply but I found a much easier fix!!!

After using Google I noticed a few people had problems with external HD's after they had upgraded to windows media player 11!!!
    I phoned my sister and told her to uninstall it, she did the uninstall, rebooted, plugged in the mp3 player and it came up straight away as an external mass storage device

Apparently it's something to do with WMP having MTP drivers that take over!!!

Thanks again for the fast reply, I hope that this thread/question/fix will help someone else with the same problem

Thread Information