Freeze ups in Dell 3000 with Xp

Thread: Freeze ups in Dell 3000 with Xp

Freeze ups in Dell 3000 with Xp

My Dell 3000 desktop (with Xp) has this problem: far too often the system freezes up and I can’t close the current program by clicking the upper right X box. Instead I am forced to do a CAD and then bring up the Task Manager. I then highlight the non-responding program, following which I usually get a second screen asking whether I want to terminate it now or wait. Clicking “Close now” sometimes works but often I must repeat the sequence a few times before the program quits. Often I just have to reboot.

I find that a non-responding application can be just a particular email message.

And, of course, I repeatedly get that “Please tell Microsoft about the problem” screen. (Does Microsoft <ever> respond to those messages? I don’t bother sending them anymore.)

Can anyone see an obvious fault in the way I am using this pc? I recognize that I do not generally close an application (say Yahoo) before I open another application (say Google or Slate). Is that mode of operation really harmful; I didn’t think it was but now I am not sure.

Suggestions would be gratefully received.

If you sent the messages, a lot of times about the 3rd or 4th popup has a link to the fix if one is available.
    By the way, if 50 million of us send the same error with the 24 hours, bet they have a fix right soon.

When that hang up happens, open task manager, processes tab and see what is eating the cpu cycles.

I have also seen nasties cause those hang up.

Have you done a nasties clean up lin the last day or two?

Please explain term "nasties." Also, please suggest a nasties cleanup application. Thanks.

Nasties a general term for malware.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

. Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, most rootkits, spyware, dishonest adware, crimeware and other malicious and unwanted software.

So, let us start here.

. Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, most rootkits, spyware, dishonest adware, crimeware and other malicious and unwanted software. Print these instructions out.

NOTE. If any of the programs listed below refuse to run, try renaming executive file to something else; for instance, rename hijackthis.exe to screw_you.exe

1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
    * An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
    * If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
    * Close SUPERAntiSpyware.

PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

Restart computer in Safe Mode.
    To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
    * Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
    * Under [b]General and Startup" tab, make sure, Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts option is UN-checked.
    * Click the Scanning Control tab.
    * Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    - Close browsers before scanning.
    - Scan for tracking cookies.
    - Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
    * Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
    * On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
    * On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
    * Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
    * After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click OK.
    * Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click Next.
    * A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
    * If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
    * To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    - Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    - Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    - If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    - Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.

* Click Close to exit the program.
    Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.
    NOTE: Tracking cookies can be omitted from the log.

RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET

RESTART COMPUTER!

2. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php to your desktop.
    (Malwarebytes is free to use as a manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically which is not necessary for our purposes)

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
    * Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
    Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

RESTART COMPUTER!

3. Download, install, and run HijackThis:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hijackthis.html
    Post HijackThis log.
    Do NOT attempt to "fix" anything!

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

(Above layout courtesy of Broni)

Wow, what a complete answer! A million thanks. ... wdc

You are Welcome.

And we wait for your logs.

Thread Information