Can't download attachments from Hotmail

Thread: Can't download attachments from Hotmail

Can't download attachments from Hotmail

For a number of days, I have been unable to download any kind of attachments from Hotmail. They are not .exe files, but regular .xls .zip or .doc.

After about 30 seconds of waiting and looking at the pop-up download window, I get a message saying "Unable to download" and "Web site cannnot be found"

Yet, from two computers, I can download these attachments without problems.

I have XP SP2 and IE6 with all updates.

I have reviewed all Security and Advanced settings in IE, but have not found anything that could explain this.

Any idea?

Thanks
    Antec Solo II, Antec HCG-520, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5-2500K, Zalman CNPS5, GSkill 2x4GB, Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB, LG 24NS70, Windows 7 HPE 64, Dell 2407WFP-HC

Having some time to spend on Sunday morning, I did a web search with the expression "attachments from Hotmail" in Clusty.com (ex-Vivisimo)

It sems many people are having this problem. I can see the question being asked on many forums. Finally, 4 or 5 pages into the search, I found the following link:

The Root of the Problem

I tried it and it solves the problem So here it is:

Attachments from Hotmail will not download unless the "Do not remember my e-mail address for future sign-in. (Select this when using a public computer.)" checkbox is unchecked when logging into Hotmail.

If that box is checked, the following message appears when trying to download an attachment:

"Internet Explorer cannot download...Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site was either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

This is only WinXP (SP1 or SP2) and IE 6 and Hotmail. Win2k works. Firefox
    works. IE works with anything but Hotmail.

I must admit I would never thought of this by myself. Seems incredible that Microsoft=Internet Explorer=Hotmail has not yet fixed this.

That is the way most of us want it, just like it is, if I am not on my normal computer.

Thread Information