What size APC battery backup do I need?

Thread: What size APC battery backup do I need?

Hybrid View

What size APC battery backup do I need?

Went to Office Depot and salesman tried to sell the largest size APC unit they have, but cannot seem to tell me why I need 1000, as opposed to a 700, 650 or 500 unit.

I will be plugging in 3 computers, only two of which are on at a time, the monitor and miscellaneous other electronic devices. I am seldom more than 5 minutes away from the office, in the event of a power loss. So, I do not need a battery backup to provide 30 minutes of back up. I need 3 to 5 minutes to allow me to shut down the computers I am using, in the event of a power loss.

Do I need more than a 500 unit, for my protection?

Depends on the PC components. There are capacity configuration tools available online.

http://www.apcc.com/template/size/apc/index.cfm

jdc:

Thanks. Went to the site. Plugged in my units and got a recommendation.

That is what I needed. It looks like I can go with the 650 unit for my needs.

Thanks, again.

Get one of the Smart-UPS models, and it will gracefully shut down the computers when the battery level reaches a pre-determined level. Otherwise Sod's law dicates that the one time you are away from the office for more than 5 minutes will be when you have a power failure If you get a model that can shutdown the PC's then the extended runtime that you get from the larger units becomes unnecessary.
    Nick.

And if you get the right item, it can shut your pc down for you.

The smart units look like they do more (and cost more), but do more than I need. I need protection from the intermittent power fluctuations we get here in South Florida quite often. However, if I am away from the office, I will have already saved my work and an extended power loss will not be disastrous.

I will look into both, though.

Thanks guys. I know much more now than when I posted my thread.

computing

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I can't seem to find the other (and longer) UPS thread I read a few months back.

I used the apc calculator recommended above. I'm just wondering how come it doesn't ask for the other pc parts like video card, no. of fans. etc.-- aren't they important in calculating for the power requirement?

Also, the best price recommendation I got was APC BACK-UPS RS 800VA 230V. Run time of 17 mins. I don't need it to be that long. I just need around 5 mins to shut down. Is it safe to assume I can opt for the 650VA?

The number of fans doesn't make any real difference. The graphics card does, but the vast majority of UPSs are used on business computers, which rarely have a powerful graphics card. Personally I would factor it in as the equivalent of a second CPU if you do have a powerful card.

650VA should be fine on the basis of 800VA giving you 17 mins
    Nick.

Thanks, supersparks! Wasn't sure which should go down, the watts or the VA.

1. If I do have a powerful card (how do I classify if it's powerful or not? nVidia 8 series and up would be considered powerful?), which should go up, W, VA or both, and by how much?
    2. Is computing for the UPS wattage requirement as simple as PSU+ Watts of lcd? I wish the APC site gave some numbers on my set up alongside its recommended products.
    3. With my former UPS, I thought that when the UPS has been used actively (meaning, there was a power outage), when power comes back on and I'm done with work/PC's off, I'd leave the UPS plugged on to "recharge" so that for the next use, it won't be on low or drained level. I was told I shouldn't do this and that the UPS should only be working when the computer's using it?
    Last edited by advan; July 28th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

Some examples.
    8600 GT -52W
    8800 GT -50W (256MB Ram)
    8800 GT -78W (512MB Ram)
    GTX 280 -178W

HD4870 X2 - 262W

And the heck of it is, you have to make sure you have enough amps on each rail in the ps too.

Thread Information