"Blocked Referrer" error message on web sites??

Thread: "Blocked Referrer" error message on web sites??

"Blocked Referrer" error message on web sites??

I’m running XP Pro (NTFS) SP-2, Intel P-4 1.7 MHz, 512 RAM, Creative SB Live, ATI 9600PRO, IE 6.0 and cable broadband. I also use a Linksys router as a firewall.

I’m currently still using IE 6 and when I try to download a video on MSNBC, I’m getting the error message: “blocked referrer” is undefined. Another web site had the same message and mentioned I was behind a firewall when I tried to download. This started about a month ago…I've always watch MSNBC videos.

Any suggestions on what “blocked referrer” pertains too and how I can change my settings to correct it?

Thanks,
    Mike

My friend Google found this:

If someone visits your page directly (from a bookmark, a link in a messenger program or e-mail program, or just typing in your URL), there is no referring page and that is logged as an "Unknown Referrer."

If a program visits your website and doesn't send the referrer information (a spider or website downloader), the referrer will show up as "Unknown Referrer."

If a user is running some kind of "privacy firewall" software, the referrer may show up as "Blocked Referrer."
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll give that a try.

Also, I was going to wait about a month to install IE 7 in case there are some intial bugs. Is IE 7 functioning OK for most people now?

Thanks again,
    Mike

I've installed IE7 of a few machines and all is well.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks, I'll install it tonight.

I just typed in MSNBC.com and still can't get video. I may disconnect my router to see if it comes through.

I'm wondering if a MS update caused this on my PC?

Mike

No MS updates should mess with Referer strings. Did you start doing any new Internet security or anonymity stuff around then? Not sending the Referer header is something that many privacy type apps do, and it can cause this sort of thing.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been playing a little with internet security options and advanced, but I set them back to default and still no video. I even disabled Z/A too and that didn't work.

I'll keep trying.

Mike

Some XP tweak utilities also have the ability to alter the referer function on IE. Have you installed any of those type progs recently?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I have Tweak XP installed...I can take a look.

Any others out there?

Thanks,
    Mike

Thread Information