How to Boot between two Hard Drives

Thread: How to Boot between two Hard Drives

How to Boot between two Hard Drives

Hello,

I have 2 hard drives, both with Windows XP operating systems, installed in my computer. I would like to know how to go about setting up to choose which hard drive I boot to. They are both set for cable select per my Dell manual. Can this be done through the boot.ini file? If so how?

Thank You

Hi Sniper83, welcome to Virtual Dr

The easiest way is to go to Start>Run>msconfig, then in the Boot.ini tab, click "Check all boot paths".
    Nick.

"Check all boot paths"

Supersparks,

I clicked on "Check all boot paths" and I get a message that reads, "It appears that all boot.ini lines for Microsoft Operating Sytems are O.K." Do I need to change, or add, something to the boot.ini file in order to boot to the other hard drive?

Thank You
    Rick

When you boot are you given an option of which Operating system to choose from? Normally that's the case.

Go into control panel>system>advanced tab> startup and recovery settings and you'll see the options to change booting sequence and default os/drive. the top one listed in the drop down box is the same as the top one you'll typically see when you boot... you can choose either as default and change the am't of time to have the system wait to make the choice... I find 6 or 7 seconds is usually long enough for a CRT monitor to warm up if you want to choose anything but default.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Operating systems

Hello Fink,
    I looked in the startup and recovery settings and there is only one operating system listed. Both hard drives have windows xp installed on them. I am not given any options when I boot up. My time is set for 30 seconds. The Bios has both drives listed so I know the computer recognizes both drives, I just cannot figure out how to boot to the other drive. I do not know if I need to add anything to the boot.ini file or not.

Thanks
    Rick

Post your existing Boot.ini file and we'll tell you what you need to add.
    Nick.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

OK, assuming that the other instance is on the first partition of the second drive, modify it thus:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional One" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Two" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Nick.

Changed boot.ini

I changed by boot.ini file and now I have the option to select operating systems. However, when I try to boot from the 2nd drive, I get a stop screen error. It says to check drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated, run chkdsk/f and restart. I ran chkdsk/f and it says that that there are no errors. I tried switching from cable select to slave (still got stop screen). I do not know if it makes any difference or not but the C drive is NTFS and the F drive, the one that will not boot, is FAT32.

Thanks again for all your help, it really is deeply appreciated.
    Rick

The different filesystems won't matter. Please can you post the details of the Stop error that you're getting? The error description and/or error number, and any files that are listed is what we need.

BTW, the drives need to be explicitly jumpered as master and Slave, or both as CS, so if you changed from CS on one drive, you need to change the other as well.
    Nick.

Both drives are set to CS and the error reads: Stop: 0X0000007B (0XF7946528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Thanks again

With that particular Stop error (Inaccessible_Boot_Device) the easiest way of fixing it is by doing an over-the-top reinstall of Windows. Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
    Nick.

Thumbs up Boot between two Hard Drives

Hi Supersparks, Thanks for the advice re the Boot.ini I simply copied what you said and saved and deleted my existing Boot.ini Then pasted yours, it works a treat ! I now get two options when I boot up which is just what I was looking for.

Cheers Chris (New Zealand)

You're very welcome

And:

Nick.

Thumbs up GREAT INFO

Hi Supersparks, Thanks for the advice concerning the Boot.ini I also simply copied what you said and saved and deleted my existing Boot.ini Then pasted yours, it works a treat ! I now get two options when I boot up which is just what I was looking for thanks so much saved me a lot of time BigDaddyD

Thread Information