how to disable headphone output ???

Thread: how to disable headphone output ???

how to disable headphone output ???

Hello everyone, I'm doing a project and I need to be able in the Windows OS to disable (Through Code) to disable the headphone jack. I need to be able to basically disable the jack sense so that i can hear the speakers without having to unplug the headphones....this is a crucial (and last) part of my project for school and i can use any language to do it. I havent been able to find any info so far please help!!!

Which headphone jack are you referring to? Actually it doesn't really matter since that is done with a small switch inside the female part of the plug itself and is controled by the insertion of the headphone jack. It forces apart a small contact switch and shuts off the speakers.

I can't think of any realistic way of doing this with computer code short of buying or building your own remote controlled speaker/headphone switch box.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

See that's what I thought too , but in linux and mac there are ways to do it in code......Also there are programs out there that let you disable headphone output (so even if you have one plugged in you can use the speakers) . So im almost sure there is a way to do it in code (even if its win32 api code) but i cant seem to find anywhere or anyone that knows how
    oh i forgot : thank you for the prompt reply

I can't give any advice on linux or mac at all but I can guarantee that speaker/headphone jacks in windows computers are not controlled by a software switch... If there were some kind of auto/computer controlled switch it would be a relay or a servo controlled switch of some sort and they are not part of any windows OS or soundcard I've ever seen and I've seen many pro versions as well since that's what I do for a living (pro audio).

I have to assume that the mac/linux systems you're referring to have separate headphone and speaker outputs that allow that sort of servo switching to take place but Windows does not have that capability... the headphone and speaker jacks are the same send and need to be controlled by the insertion of the jack itself as I said above. (or some kind of external A/B box which are also hardware switch controlled)

EDIT- see the section on "switch contacts" or "interrupt jacks"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_plug

One thing that may be possible is to use USB headphones.. I've never done that but perhaps with a bit of research you could find the instruction manual for a set and see if any come with software that could allow you to turn them off/on.

i see thank you , i think then i could go another way around it, do you know of a way then to switch audio playback devices in code ? (you can do it in the music settings in the control panel but i need to do it in code)

Unfortunately I've got nearly zero knowledge of writing computer code myself. Perhaps others here can point you in the right direction (without actually doing the assignment for you that is )

Perhaps you could explain a bit more clearly or specifically which audio devices you're referring to in your last post?

yeap ...... I have a bluetooth headset/microphone set up through the usb port ...... I can go to the sound preferences in windows and deselect the audio playback device to be speakers instead of the bluetooth headset, once i do this my bluetooth headset is still plugged in but no longer streaming audio the speakers are......I need to do that switchin of devices in code rather than go to the audio preferences in windows. hope that was clear

If it's possible then I'd suggest going to our sister site

www.codeguru.com

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/index.php?&

and asking there. Without a doubt that would be a more likely place to get an answer more quickly than here. Just be sure to explain the issue in great detail so there's no confusion of types of headphones, jacks/USB etc.

Thread Information