self test check your pc and signal cable monitor is working

Thread: self test check your pc and signal cable monitor is working

self test check your pc and signal cable monitor is working

I have an emachines computer with windows xp. I went to restart my computer and it kept saying windows is shutting down but it never did. I had to hold down the power button until it shut off. Now when I turn my computer on I get this message: self test check your pc and signal cable monitor is working The whole time this is displayed my processor is constantly running. This has happened before and it was a few days later before I was able to get on my computer again. Has anyone ever had this problem? Or does anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Hi kfoster26, welcome to Virtual Dr

Check that your monitor cable is firmly plugged in at both ends. If it is, try a different monitor cable, or cleaning the contacts of the existing one and see if that cures the problem.
    Nick.

I hooked up an old tower and everything worked fine but when i plug my good tower back I still get the same message.

does anyone else have something that i can try i still cannot get on my computer

Do you have another graphics card that you can try?
    Nick.

From another forum:

jomakim : 21-08-2004, 04:36 PM
    Hi all,

I was trying to help a frien out with her pc. I scanned her hard disk by
    slaving her hard disk to mine and found 4,000 viruses. When I returned her
    hard disk to her pc and tried to boot up, got this message on the monitor
    "Self Test Check your pc and signal cable Monitor is working". Though I can see the CPU fan spinning and hard disk humming and the cpu lights blinking,
    no image comes out of the screen. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DJNafey : 22-08-2004, 11:25 PM
    Two possible causes:

1. You forgot to plug the monitor cable back into the graphics card output on the base unit.

2. The graphics card has become slightly dislodged. Remove the graphics card from the motherboard, check that there isn't a lot of dust in and around the slot and then push the graphics card back into the slot, carefully but firmly. You should ensure that the contact edge is completely seated within the slot as evenly as possible (i.e. not pushed in at one end but sticking out at the other end).

Let us know if that does or doesn't help.

i have no other graphics disk and everything inside is in place. i saw a battery inside the computer so i pulled it out and put it back in.now i can get back on the computer so i guess i reset something thanksfor the suggestions

I'm very glad that you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting back with the fix
    Nick.

Hello i'm having the same problem withmy emachines comp. I was wondering where do i find the battery, I want to see if i can fix the problem the way you did? Thanks in advance.

It is possible that the BIOS battery is bad, but a more likely possibility is that the power supply has failed. Open the case and check the label on the power supply. If it says Bestec, chances are it is toast and has probably also killed the motherboard.

It will be on the motherboard somewhere. Here's another pic:

Nick.

Smile

Thanks for your help guys, I will try what you suggested and let you know if the problem was solved.

I would love to see the PC with 4000 viruses.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information