PfModNT and Creative soundcards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PfModNT and Creative soundcards

PfModNT and Creative soundcards

Recently my PC seems to crash either every day or every other day and when I look in event viewer it's always the same error report, PfModNT as caused the crash. I google this to see what it is and apparently it's something to do with Creative soundcards, I did install a new soundcard about 3 months ago.

The logs on my PC show that this service failed to start due to the PfModNT file missing off my system. I tried one of the fixes in device manager and disabled it but it still happened, I then tried uninstalling my card and reinstalling it with all the drivers, thinking this would fix it, but it's still happening.

People were saying that the other fix was to remove the entry from the registry but I didn't want to do that in case my card stopped working afterwards.

Anybody got any idea what to do?

Thanks.

When you say crash - you mean what?
    Are you getting an error message with info that could be Googled?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I did have my pc to automatically restart when there was crash but disabled that. It then came up with the infamous blue screen of death and said something about a hardware problem. After googling this PfModNT there are various supposed fixes for this but none of them seem to work.

In my logs it says that the PfModNT service failed to start because windows could not find the specified file, but it's definitely there under C: Windows/system32/drivers. On google it says it is something to do with Creative soundcards but I have uninstalled my card and reinstalled it with all the latest drivers from the Creative website.

Sorry forgot to mention that under event viewer and in system log it brings the error up saying how this service failed to start.

Which OS are you using and are you having any issues with your sound card?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I am using XP service pack 3, all the latest drivers and updates installed. The soundcard works perfectly, including all the software that came with the card.

It's weird how it's only just started happening and I would do a restore point to a few weeks ago but I can't because I deleted most of the restore points to free up some disk space.

Did you reboot between uninstalling the old drivers and installing the new ones?
    Nick.

Yes, when I uninstalled my old card I removed the drivers and software for it then uninstalled the card in device manager. Took the old card out, put new one in, then started PC up.

Get your WinXP CD handy, then go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes (you don't get any report from the System File Checker, it just silently replaces and corrupt or missing system files that it finds).
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    Get your WinXP CD handy, then go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes (you don't get any report from the System File Checker, it just silently replaces and corrupt or missing system files that it finds).
    Is that the same as doing a disk check when you start up you PC?

No, that will replace any damaged or modified system files, it doesn't check disk or file system integrity like chkdsk does.

Ok will give that a go and see what happens.

EDIT: Tried that, inserted the XP disc and typed sfc /scannow in the run command and it didn't work. It checks that all the system files are intact and in their original versions but when it finds something wrong it says that I have the wrong cd!! When I click on retry it says that I have to insert the windows XP Home Edition into my drive and keeps sayings it's the wrong CD. This is an original copy of XP Home, not a naughty copy.
    Last edited by biggsy68; March 4th, 2010 at 05:24 AM.

If your original Windows XP CD is not the same Service Pack level as your current installation, you will need a CD of the same version and service pack level. You can slipsream the latest SP to create a new Windows XP CD.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...vice-pack.html

I'm guessing the same thing applies for service pack 3? If it does I can't find either the SP2 or 3 folder which should exist on my PC.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Thread Information