Laser (or other) pointer for use with LCD screen

Thread: Laser (or other) pointer for use with LCD screen

Laser (or other) pointer for use with LCD screen

I'm looking for a laser pointer or other method for drawing people's attention to a particular area or item on a large LCD screen while it is showing a computer presentation (PowerPoint) or other computer display. A standard red laser pointer does not show up on the screen - the light is absorbed completely. I'm wondering if a green laser would work any better, or if a more powerful red laser would work. I don't want anything powerful enough to damage the LCD panel. Green lasers cost about five to ten times as much as red lasers. Blue lasers are also available, but they are extremely expensive. If anyone has any experience with green lasers, or any other product that might be useful for this function, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I see what you mean, I just tried pointing a laser level at my monitors, it was visible, but not very clear at all. To be honest I don't see that using a different coloured laser would make any difference - red, green and blue is what is makes up the display of an LCD, so I would expect them to all be absorbed easily. Really I don't think any sort of light pointer will work very well, I think you'll have to resort to an old-fashioned pointing stick.
    Nick.

I was thinking of RGB, and had a look around last night for suitable pointers, and the green lasers are more expensive, they also seem to be more powerful, emit a larger beam (wider). The average price was around £50, i don't understand the technology, and i am blinded by the lights a little when it is explained (pun intended) but here is a snippet:

This pointer is significantly brighter (about 50 times) than a red laser pointer and because of its unusual color it is much more noticeable. I mean come on, a 532 nm green laser wavelength is obviously superior to a laughable 650 nm red laser wavelength. And unlike a red laser, the green beam itself can be seen in mid-air in dark conditions, not just the laser beam dot. This allows the green laser pointer to be used for pointing to star constellations (skypointing) and also just generally look cool as hell. The green laser beam dot can be seen at much greater distances than with a red laser pointer.

Since green direct injection laser diodes aren't readily available, this pointer is based on the use of Diode Pumped Solid State Frequency Doubled (DPSSFD) laser technology. A high power IR laser diode at 808 nm pumps a tiny block of Nd:YVO4 generating light at 1,064 nm which feeds a KTP intracavity frequency doubler crystal to produce the green beam at 532 nm.
    Most seem to be sold as star pointers, to pick out certain parts of the sky, and used at night, which may be why they are more powerful, and green, can't say if it would be better on a screen though...

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

The alternative that I have considered is a wireless mouse replacement device that can control the laptop mouse pointer. One that can do this without needing to be used on a flat surface would probably be best. If anyone has any experience with these and could recommend a decent unit, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Nick.

This one looks ideal for what you want:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PAUM30U...631201?ie=UTF8
    Nick.

The item at the link below is what I was thinking of:

http://www.gyration.com/en-US/Produc...005M&accshow=3

This is the same as in the above link, but with the keyboard too: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1578906

If you require it...it makes sense considering the price is quite reasonable.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

I saw the mouse and keyboard bundle, and TigerDirect has it for only $10 more than just the mouse from the mfr's site. I may go with one of these setups at some point.

Thread Information