High Definition...

Thread: High Definition...

High Definition...

Hiya folks....

I am thinking of taking the HDTV plunge. Perhaps in time to see a few Pittsburgh Steeler games in HD this year.

What exactly is the difference between the LCD and plasma versions of a HDTV....other than price? Which way is best to go? What things should I be looking for when researching a model?

Thanks....

Well, the two main top end quality levels are 720p (progressive) and 1080p/i (progressive and interpolated) 720p is said to be good for sports and fast moving scenes, and 1080 is said to be good for movies, both depend on resolution, and a 16:9 format LCD with 1280 x 720 res cannot push to 1080, so you'd have 720p, whereas 1920 x 1080 would be able to show 480/720 and 1080. I would go for LCD over plasma personally, as they are more durable, cheaper, usually thinner, lighter, easier to wall mount because of the weight difference.

There are a lot of features packed into HDTV's as standard, but one thing you'll want is at least 1 x HDMI input, basically the new port to send HD picture and sound from a HD source, HD is achievable via DVI on a TV, but audio must be sent seperately, HDMI send both, so it would save wires.

Most features that are standard are: Hi-Resolution screen/PIP/numerous inputs (DVI/VGA/Component/Scart/HDMI/RCA) and some offer virtual surround sound, with a pretty good output from the mounted speakers.

Justbe sure to go for a good brand, high res, HDMI, and any other inputs you require, and shop around.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thanks liam....

Isn't there something else about plasma....something about "recharging"? I recall someone telling me that if I bought a plasma, I should get a "recharge plan" from the retailer or something....

I did some window shopping last weekend and liked some of the prices.

Well...I didn't "like" the prices....but was surprised to see how far they had dropped in just a couple years....

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird myth, and i have no idea why someone who could make $1500+ for 1 sale would try an put you off with a fact like that. I think plasmas can suffer more from dead/stuck pixels, and in some cases may struggle to change colour and get stuck on one of RGB (Red/Green/Blue) colours, which can be annoying, when you have a 1366 x 768 50" screen, viewing the discovery channel, and you're looking at the blue sea from above, and there's a green dot in the centre that shows up on everything.

I know what you mean about the prices, i'd rather spend £1000 now, compared to £4000 a few years ago, things have also become better for that price, which is nice.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

There's some good info on HDTV here:

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/
    Nick.

Thanks for info folks....

We want pictures when you get one

Consumer Reports reviews LCD and plasma sets all the time. See September 2006 (page 7) and March 2006 (starting on page 16).
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information