how to restore old dos files backup.001 control.001 on disks

Thread: how to restore old dos files backup.001 control.001 on disks

Lightbulb how to restore old dos files backup.001 control.001 on disks

how to restore old dos files backup.001 control.001 on disks.

Is there program that can restore these old dos backedup files to windows98 system or xp etc..

Or does anyone know how restore these with anything.

Let me know thx..
    Last edited by xenatds; August 13th, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

Welcome to VirtualDr

Wow, "backup.001", "control.001"? That'll take you back a decade or two. I think it was MS-DOS version 3.1 that introduced the Backup/Restore utilities.

What you'd have to do is setup a MS-DOS (version 3.1 through 6.22) system with a partition small enough for MS-DOS to recognize (FAT16). Now insert the first of your backup diskettes in drive A: and run the command:
    restore a: c:\*.* /s
    (It'll prompt you for the next diskette, etc. etc.).

Once the files are restored, you'd need to COPY/XCOPY them all back to floppy diskettes (including subdirectories if necessary) in order to get them loaded on a PC running one of today's Windows Operating Systems.

Perhaps through DosBox if you dont have an older system to install a version of DOS on???
    Another option that comes to mind is installing DOS via an emmulator like VMware [30 day trial] or MS Virtual PC [freeware].

Not sure how partion a drive. Is this hard to do and would I lose any windows files to install dos partion on my windows 98 system.

And is it possable to use a usb flash drive to install files on. I heard that you can make usb flash drives bootable now not sure how though. Would It be easyer to put dos on a usb flash drive?

For those other programs you posted about I have look into those figure out how they work thx for the info.

MS-DOS was created long before USB interfaces and FAT32 partitions. In other words, MS-DOS simply will not/cannot recognize either.

About the only thing that MS-DOS will recognize that is still in use today, (but fading fast), is the good 'ol 3-1/2" floppy drive/diskette.

Therefore, you'll need to:
    1. Setup MS-DOS on hardware that it knows how to operate.

2. Retrieve (restore) the old data from floppy diskette onto its hard drive.

3. Copy the data back down from its hard drive to floppy diskettes in a form that can be read by one of today's operating systems.
    You're now ready to read (copy) the data from those floppy diskettes using some other compatible operating system. (Something that can read 3-1/2" FAT12 formatted diskettes, such as Windows 9x/Me/NT/XP).

Just to add to the mix there are freeware DOS operating systems like FreeDOS.FreeDOS produce two versions an installable and also a bootable live CD-Rom.The later version runs from a CD and does not need installing
    FreeDOS Ripcord

But, would they run the needed MS-DOS version of the RESTORE utility successfully?

The main requirement qould be the correct version of the RESTORE program. This changed from one version of DOS to another, so you need to have the version of RESTORE corresponding to the version of BACKUP that was used. The DOS version itself shouldn't matter as long as the correct RESTORE version is available. You may need to use the VERSION program as well if the DOS version is not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000
    You may need to use the VERSION program as well if the DOS version is not the same.
    You probably mean SETVER(?):
    Using the SETVER Command
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;96767

Applications That Require SETVER.EXE for MS-DOS 6.0 or 6.2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;90571
    And yes, if you're trying to use say MS-DOS version 4.xx's BACKUP.EXE/RESTORE.EXE while running under MS-DOS version 6.xx, you'll need to use SETVER.EXE to do so. (See second link above).

Smile

Thx guys ...

I used Dosbox Emulator program to get files unloaded from the disks. Just had to figure out how refesh mounted drives after I did that files unloaded fine. This program think was pretty easy to use.

MS Virtual PC was little more confuseing to use not sure how to save to the c: drive. Only thing I got it to do is boot up on ms-dos boot disk. It didn't have its own system when I startedup virtual pc program that I saw of.

Not sure if it would of unloaded files because never found vitural hardrive to unload files on. This program didnt do anything for me other then load dos boot disk not sure what letter is the hard drive in it. I created virtual harddrive but I dont think program used it.

Maybe because I used windows xp home edtion and it might of wanted another version of xp could been the problem but not sure.

Thx again..
    Last edited by xenatds; August 18th, 2006 at 04:10 AM. Reason: ..

Lightbulb

I think dosbox in windows xp all features dont work well. Not sure if just me but if you try to refresh mounted drives in xp it does not do anything. It will not refresh the drive to get more files off other disks.

Ctrl f4 suposed to refresh it but on xp key combo are useless..

Keep in mind that MS-DOS (version 4.0+) can only recognize FAT12 (diskettes) and FAT16 partitions up to a maximum of 2 GB:
    Maximum Partition Size Using FAT16 File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118335/EN-US/
    Quote Originally Posted by xenatds
    ... Only thing I got it to do is boot up on ms-dos boot disk. It didn't have its own system when I startedup virtual pc program that I saw of. ...
    If you see a DOS prompt (such as "C:\>"), that's it, DOS is up and running and waiting for your command(s).

Thread Information