Problem installing adapter software

Thread: Problem installing adapter software

Problem installing adapter software

I have a wireless network using a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 router. I want to add another desktop computer to the network, so I bought a Netgear RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter WPN311. First I have to install the software but when I put the CD into the drive, I get AMSRuntime Extract error:28. I have a CD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive, and I get the error no matter which CD drive I try to use.

The computer is a HP Pavilion XL848, that I replaced the power supply on just a few weeks ago. It seems to be working OK, but I haven't tried to do much, other than trying to add the network card. I don't know if this problem relates to the new power supply, but I did try another CD-ROM in the drive and it works fine. The Netgear installation CD also works in a different computer.

Netgear customer service doesn't speak English, so I'd like to try to avoid calling them again! What do I do now?
    Martha
    --I know just enough to screw everything up

Have you installed the new card yet? Windows may have the necessary drivers. If not, put the driver CD in the drive and ignore the error. When the computer detects your new hardware, tell it to search the CD for the drivers.
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalBound
    Have you installed the new card yet?
    Well...no...I hadn't tried that. All the instructions said to first install the software. There was even a big red sticker on the bag the card was in that said "STOP!! Install the software first!" But, at your suggestion, I did install the card first, and it seems to be working now (sometimes I just need a push). Thanks!
    Martha
    --I know just enough to screw everything up

Glad it worked. Those stop signs can sometimes intimidate people making them think their hardware will become usless if they don't follow the instructions precisely.
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

Thread Information