File Recovery

Thread: File Recovery

File Recovery

Hi:
    Last time I accidentally reset my PC when I'm converting a video file. After the PC restart, the video file is gone. I'm trying to use PC Inspector File Recovery to recover it. However, it wasn't there. I'm sure that the space for the file is not overwritten but where did the file gone to? I can even see some files deleted months ago can be recovered but why not the file missing recently?

It treally depends on what happened. Deleting a file in the usual way makes a simple change to the MFT, and so the files are easy to recover. However after a crash like that, there could be major corruption of the file, which is why the recovery program can't help. It's probably one of those occadsions where the $ware recovery apps might do better, but they aren't cheap. Easy Recovery Pro is very good:

Easy Recovery Pro
    Nick.

LimCY--If the video file had a name, run a Search on that name. You might find it somewhere else, like Recent or Temp.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi :
    Thanks a lot for reply. I did the search but nothing can be found. Moreover, I think the entry in recent is just a shortcut & temp file created during converting will not use the same name.

I use payware File Scavenger. They have a demo which I guess may find but not recover the file (then it's pay time).

Not likely in this case but remember that any file deleted via the Recycle Bin will no longer have the filename. It will have prefix Dc, Dd etc depending on the drive deleted from. Mymovie01.mpg may become Dd2593.mpg. For a movie search for say *.mpg (if it was an mpg). You cannot have that many and you have a good idea of the date.

Starman*
    ~
    ~ if all else fails, read the instructions

Thread Information