Problems installing XP

Thread: Problems installing XP

Problems installing XP

I've been having a heck of a time installing (actually, reinstalling) XP and I'm about to pull my hair out. I hope someone can help.
    When I built my computer, I purchased a 40gig HD for it but I don't like to keep Windows on the same drive as the rest of my "stuff" so I initially installed XP on an old 3gig drive. Since then, I got a good deal on a 10gig drive and want to install XP on that so I'll have room for SP1 and so I won't keep getting those annoying messages telling me I'm low on drive space.

Anyway, When I attempted to do the install, it wouldn't accept my product key even though it's the one that came with it and it's the one I used for my current installation.

My next problem...or I should have said my first, was that it won't let me install XP from DOS and Autorun doesn't work. So, assuming I can get past the Product key problem, it seems that I would need to have some version of Windows already installed on that drive, then upgrade as I did with my current installation.

Well, I thought I'd use a little ingenuity and use Norton Ghost to tackle the problem...unfortunately, Norton won't let me clone my C:/ drive until I defrag it but I can't defrag it because I don't have enough free space (I only have 7% and defrag wants 15%) I don't have anything stored on my C:/ drive except Windows so I can't take a chance on deleting enough files to make room.

I've run out of ideas and I don't have a clue about what's causing these problems. If anyone can help me figure out a way to get XP installed on this drive I'll be eternally grateful. I was thinking maybe there was a way to hook up just the 2 drives I need and copy the contents of one drive to the other using DOS but I don't remember enough DOS to do it and don't know enough about the version of DOS that's included with XP.

I'm currently running XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 2000 with 512M RAM.

If anyone can help I'll name my next child after you

Dakota

I got a good deal on a 10gig drive -> How sure are you that this drive is good? Have you formatted it?

install XP from DOS and Autorun doesn't work. So, assuming I can get past the Product key problem -> You'll will still have put the key code in when installing from DOS.

I would quadrupple check the key code. 8 look like B's etc Zero's look like capital O's....
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

To install from DOS (make sure you have cdrom support enabled), navigate to the i386 folder on the CD, and type "Winnt.exe" that'll run Setup. Failing that you may need the 6 bootup floppies to get Windows to install - you can get them here:

Bootdisks
    Nick.

Sorry for asking. Is there any XP can install from DOS? Coz I never heard of it. I only know that XP can be installed through Boot from CD if there's no Windows on the HD.That is, open BIOS setup (press DEL on startup, or other key according to which key is being specified by the MoBo) and set the boot sequence to boot from CD first. Really need someone's correction if I was wrong. Coz I'm just new to it.

Well the answer is pretty much in the post above. To install from DOS, boot up with a Win98 Startup floppy with CDROM support, then navigate to the i386 folder on the CD (at the A:> prompt type the letter of the cdrom drive, then "CD i386" without the quotes) Then at the X:\i386> prompt (where X: is the letter of the cdrom drive) type "Winnt.exe". That will run the normal Windows Setup.

You can get a startup floppy here:

Bootdisks
    Nick.

Thanks SuperSparks for giving the link above. That's what I'm looking for quite some time. Few years ago I've tried to install my XP home from DOS but it says the program cannot be run from DOS. Maybe because I'm running the wrong program. Moreover, some of my friend told my XP can't be install from DOS. So I didn't try it again. You also tell me something, I'm too stupid coz I'm always reply to the old thread. I'm too new & not really understand about this forum system. Never notice the post date before I reply. Thanks a lot for your help!

You're very welcome
    Nick.

Thread Information