The Volume Appears To Contain One or More Unrecoverable Problems

Thread: The Volume Appears To Contain One or More Unrecoverable Problems

The Volume Appears To Contain One or More Unrecoverable Problems

I have a Compaq 5320US computer running Windows XP Home. All of the sudden it would not boot into windows. It comes up with the screen where you can pick Safe Mode, Last Known Good , Start Windows Normally ect. None of these selections worked so I booted up off of the Windows XP Home cd and went into the Recovery Console. I ran CHKDSK /R It gets to 33% and gives me a message "The Volume Appears To Contain One or More Unrecoverable Problems" What do I try next?

Download and run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility (they run from floppy, there is no need to boot into Windows). Here are the most common ones:

Seagate Seatools

IBM / Hitachi Drive Fitness Test

Maxtor Maxblast 3

Maxtor PowerMax

Western Digital Software & Drivers

Fujitsu Utilities
    Nick.

Ok , I need to look and see what hard drive this machine has. Once I figure that out I will give the proper utility a try. I will post back.

The machine has a Western Digital WD400EB hard drive. I can't even get it to boot to the Western Digital utilities floppy that I made. I even tried to make a bootable Western Digital utilities cd and that wouldn't even work. I think this hard drive is done.

That could be, but it should boot to the floppy or cd in any case, regardless of whether the hard disk is dead.
    Could you try to unplug the hard drive and boot with the floppy or cd, just to see if that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by ginky4

... so I booted up off of the Windows XP Home cd and went into the Recovery Console.
    Quote Originally Posted by ginky4

... I even tried to make a bootable Western Digital utilities cd and that wouldn't even work.
    If it will boot from your Windows XP Home CD but not from your Western Digital Utilities CD, then I would suspect something is wrong with your Western Digital Utilities CD.

I finally got the machine to boot up off of a Western Digital Data Lifeguard floppy. I tried to run the Extended Test from the floppy that would detect and repair errors but I got a message that said. "The Drive has one or more errors that are not repairable. The final status code is 0207."

That should be good enough to get an RMA from WD then, and you can get the drive replaced.
    Nick.

Looks like "207" means two different things ... dependant upon which version you were running.

Diagnostic Error Codes for Data Lifeguard Tools 11/10 and 2.8
    http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp

Thread Information