Need a Little Bit of XP Help . Thanks....

Thread: Need a Little Bit of XP Help . Thanks....

Need a Little Bit of XP Help . Thanks....

I am helping a little young (87) lady getting her life back in order after her husband passed away. She was left with a laptop (Dell)(XP Home) that I am currently cleaning up & making ready, so that she can learn how to use email etc. I see that all the desktop etc, icons all have underscores beneath them. I know there is a way to be rid of them, but have forgotten. Also the computer boots to her deceased husband's name & I would like to change that and do so without a lot of hassle (the administrative thing.) There is no password involved, so that should make it easier. Again, I have forgotten. Sometimes that can be a bit tricky & I do not want to do something & then have it not boot. Thank much for any help here.......

(1) = My Computer|Tools|Folder Options =

And (2) If you navigate to Control Panel|User Accounts|Change An Account|Click The Account|Click Change The Name|Type it|Click Change Name|Done.
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thanks Iiam858; appreciate the quick response......

IMHO doubleclick would be safest and choosing that disables the underline. ...
    (in reference to Liam's pic of general tab -"click items as follows").

Yes, poppy4, I found that out. That did the trick for the Underline thing, but I did not get the name change resolved The account showed that it was in both names: his/hers., but only his came up on the bootup. I could delete his & couldn't change his to hers, cuz that would be a dupe (not allowed), so I just added a number 2 to hers & replaced his with that. However, when I rebooted, I find that it still comes up with his name & not hers. They are both administrators. So not sure as to what to do next. I would like to be able to boot directly to the desktop & bypass the name altogether. I have mine setup that way ( from scratch of course) & I know how to do it with W2K but not Being of her age plus brand new to computing, I am trying to make it as simple as possible.. Thanks much..

Go back into User Account|Change the way users log on or off|Untick Use The Welcome Screen.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Go to run and type in control userpasswords2
    UNcheck users have to type password....
    next select her name and your done.

I hate to be a pest but none of those options work. Regarding Iiam suggestion, I run into this obsticle: The welcome screen option is already unchecked & greyed out with this message: "Client services for netware has disabled the welcome screen+fast user switch. To restore, uninstall same ."
    Well, that's not what we're after.
    And as for XOR's suggestion, he needs to be a bit more specific on that. After, all, yer dealing with an aging senior here & keeping up with the "Big Dogs" can be challenging. Appreciate all the input. Thanks much !

Hey Razor, from one 'aging senior' to another..
    Go to lower left corner of screen and click on 'start', then click on 'run', and type in...control userpasswords2...click OK,... and on the 'user accounts' page that comes up there is a box to enable/disable...."Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.".....make sure it is disabled..(no checkmark)....click OK at the bottom.
    See if this stops the deceased's name from coming up on boot.

Sorry, should have been more specific.

Thanks Poppy for clearing things up.
    Couldn't say it better.

XOR...You're welcome....happy to have a chance to help
    Now I hope it solves Razor's problem with Ladies' pc.

poppy4 & all:

Thanks for the response; I think maybe that I might have mispelled the "userpasswords". I might have spelled it "userspassword" instead. I won't be able to find out for sure, till the next trip over to her place, which might be a few days or so. As an experiment, I tried it out here at my own desk using XP pro & it does come up with an optional window. As for saying that XOR should have been more specific, I was wrong & I humbly apologize. I DO know how to go to start/run etc, but I had thought that maybe that the word control was supposed to have been some sort of abreviation like (cmd etc, etc) . Sorry about that XOR. You were right & I was asleep at the wheel. Once again, Thanks so much, for all the help & have a great weekend - ALL!!

Thread Information