[RESOLVED] "Memory access violation"

Thread: [RESOLVED] "Memory access violation"

Resolved [RESOLVED] "Memory access violation"

There's a game I like playing with my nephew called City Magnate. It's like a computerized Monopoly, certainly not heavy-duty. After playing for 7-8 minutes, the game will stop cold, unload to the bare desktop and a window pops up with the title message above. What memory--the RAM or the vidcard? It's a 256MB FX5500, nothing fancy, the most recent drivers installed I think (2006). What causes this, and what do I need to do to eliminate it?

P.S.: Happens on the machine in my specs, booted in XP.

Memory Access Violation is referring to main RAM, and is almost certainly a coding bug in the game. It can be caused by trying to refer to memory addresses after they have already been freed up, that kind of thing. About the only thing you can do is see if there are any hotfixes or patches for the game.
    Nick.

Updating this thread and resolving it. I may have a bad RAM slot on the mobo, or something to that effect. Memtest showed failure in one test, so for the heck of it when it happened again Monday night (while I was sniping on eBay! ) I moved one stick from slot 1 to slot 0 and rebooted. Hasn't misbehaved since (been almost 72 hours), and Memtest now are all passing. Go figure.

Thread Information