No Preview Available When Trying To View JPEG's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Preview Available When Trying To View JPEG's

No Preview Available When Trying To View JPEG's

I have a machine running Windows XP Home. For some reason when I try to view a JPEG or JPG with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer I get a "No Preview Available" message. I checked the file associations in the Folder Options in the Control Panel and they all look correct. Any idea how I can fix this?

ginky4, Try this:

Start> Run then type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and click OK

If that doesn't correct the problem try

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

Tufenuf
    Last edited by Tufenuf; April 20th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

ginky4, If you're using AOL see the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326675

Tufenuf

I fixed the problem by typing these commands into the Run window. regsvr32 u/ shimgvw.dll and hit Ok Then I typed regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and hit Ok That fixed the problem. Tufenuf you had the correct fix. By the way, I was not using AOL. The problem was isolated to JPEGs that came in email. All other JPEGs on the hard drive opened with no problem.

ginky4, Glad to see that you fixed the problem & Thanks for posting back to let us know.

Tufenuf

Bringing this one back from the dead. I'm having the same problem, running XP Pro. Tried all of the following:

regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    Restarting.

No luck, pretty bummed out because it looked so simple. Any other ideas? Thanks!

elliotcolbert, Try deleting your Temporary Internet Files including "All offline content".

Tufenuf

Cleared all data from IE and FireFox - no improvement. Thanks for the quick suggestion, however!

Consider giving Irfanview (free) a try and set it as your default image viewer.

I have the same problem

I also have this problem, but not on all of my pictures. The run commands did nothing, and IrfanView won't display them either. IrfanView says "Can't read file header ! Unknown file format or file not found !"
    The weird thing is that most of the jpgs will display fine, it is just some of them that won't.
    Some background: My windows install became corrupt not long ago and I used recovery software to recover all of these jpgs. It appears that not all of them came back equally, some work, some don't. The non-working ones have the proper extensions and are the same sizes as the others that do work. Is there anything I can do to the non-working ones to save them?

Thanks very much in advance.

Odds are you can't do anything...Recovery programs are nice but not perfect.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

JPG reovery programs
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...overy&aq=f&oq=

Things like that is why I make a backup data DVD of my pictures the first thing after I get them on my computer. Yes it takes time, but I prefer SAFE to sorry. And why I can not recommend any program that show up in the link I posted.
    SMILE
    and post back. Let us know if it worked.
    [ Book mark this post to find it again]

This is a very common problem if you have office 2003 installed. Well at least outlook 2003. to solve this problem you first need to install the office 2003 sp3 update located here: Office 2003 sp3
    once the update is complete install this hotfix: KB953432

I'm having the same problem with certain .jpg files I receive via email (Outlook Express) giving "no preview available" messages. I'm using Office 2003 (running XP Pro).

I downloaded SP3 and the Hotfix the previous poster suggested. Nada, zilch, nuthin'. Next suggestion, please.

I downloaded my granddaughter's pictures from her XD card to my laptop. 500 of the 728 pictures opened fine. The last 228 had no preview available and could not be opened. I tried the following:
    regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    Restarting.
    Then down loaded IrfanView and tried to open them that way, but it said: "Can't fine file header & Unknown file format or file not found. The files are on a external disk using a USB drive. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Please help.

Thread Information