Norton Internet Security rules automatically created for the program MS Msngr. pop up

Thread: Norton Internet Security rules automatically created for the program MS Msngr. pop up

Norton Internet Security rules automatically created for the program MS Msngr. pop up

My Dad has a Dell Desktop PC with XP Home, P-4 1.8 and Norton Internet Security.

About every few minutes he gets a pop up in the lower right corner that reads: “Norton Internet Security rules automatically created for the program Microsoft Messenger.” This appears when he’s using Outlook Express and the Internet. I tweaked my PC in the registry to disable MS Messenger but didn’t want to his PC unless it gets rid of this message. I know it’s common for an occasional Norton pop up when they update the virus protection…that will pop up on mine maybe once a week as I use Norton Premier.

Any ideas what causes this MS/Norton pop and how to get rid of the pop up? It's driving him nuts! Also, he does not use MS Messenger or have it set up for use.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re:Internet security

Hello Mike2rc, see here Used Norton Security Version 2004 (If you have a different Version, go here>> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/hom...roduct_ts.html ) Not sure of your version of Norton Security, just enter Norton Internet Security rules automatically created for the program Microsoft Messenger into the search engine on the site, and look through the list.

2004 click here>> http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer/...=null&x=39&y=8

It can take a while to locate, just change the words in the search to say, Security rule problems with Microsoft Messenger e.t.c. Outlook express. See last part of this post first.

Also, in Norton AV options, not sure because i only have Norton AV, and not security suite, look in Internet Worm protection, and remove the program from there, and it will ask for permission for the Program. You can allow it, or not.
    Hope the above helps, GEP

Thanks Gep

Thanks Gep,

He has Norton Internet Security 2005 Atnt-Spyware Edition. I'll do the search on Symantec's site and try some more Google searches. He called Dell and they think it's a virus type problem yet he updates and runs Norton every week. Dell will fix it for $90.00 as a last result. It pops up every 10 seconds which would drive anyone nuts and he's 80 years old.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Thread Information