Getting "I/O device error" reading CD/DVD drive in XP MCE 2005

Thread: Getting "I/O device error" reading CD/DVD drive in XP MCE 2005

Getting "I/O device error" reading CD/DVD drive in XP MCE 2005

Well .. I'm having another problem I can't figure out and have come to the one place that always seems to have the answers.

I picked up a Toshiba Satellite P-25 last october. It came with XP Home which I upgraded to Media Center Edition 2005. The machine also comes with a mat****a cd/dvd combo burner drive (UJ-811). I am up to date on service packs, drivers and firmware for everything.

Trouble started a couple months ago. At first I would get i/o error messages when reading CDs, (I am not certain if it was constant or intermitent when it started) but no problems with DVDs. Now though, it won't read CDs or DVDs. If I t ry to browse to the drive I get the message "the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error".

Device Manager assures me that everythign is working perfectly with no conflicts. I can boot to the CD drive no problem, but if Windows is running, all I have is a cup holder.

Anyone have a clue as to what's going on? Or even better .. how to fix it?

This link may be of use: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891894

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

no dice

Hey .. thanks.

I did come across a recommendation to try that. Just to make sure I tried it again but no dice.

Came accross some other "solutions" as well ... tried deleting the "upper filters" key in the registry ... didn't help. There is an autofix utility available from MS .... also useless for this problem.

I posted to the forum on the MS site the other day, but no replies.

The complete error message when I browse the drive is as follows:

D:\ is not accessible.
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

What does Device Manager report the status of the drive as?
    Nick.

Device Manger says "This device is working properly."

Thread Information