IE6/Win XP Pro wont load sites

Thread: IE6/Win XP Pro wont load sites

Resolved IE6/Win XP Pro wont load sites

hi, when i try to go on sites Win XP/IE6 wont load the pages. i get a "restricted sites" in the bottom right corner.

i have McAfee virus scan and Windows firewall and virus protection is on.

the sites are dell.co.uk and a couple of wrestling sites. just wont load.
    Last edited by bigbob2006; March 22nd, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    XP Pro SP2, AMD Athlon XP 2200, ASRock K7S41 MoBo, 1GB RAM, WD 80GB + WD 160GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, LG SuperMulti Drive, Sony DVD burner, Soundblaster 5.1 soundcard, PCI SATA Card, Samsung SM940MW LCD TV, Logitech LX700 wireless K/B & Mouse

Hi bigbob2006,
    You could check to see if in fact these sites are listed in the restricted sites list, and if they are delete them.
    In IE go to Tools/Internet options/security/ restricted sites/sites....and check the list....hth

Click on Tools/Internet Options. Click the Security Tab and highlight 'Restricted Sites'. Click the 'Sites' button and remove the sites from here.
    The only barrier to knowledge is the perception that you already have it.

sorry, should have added that i normally visit these sites without any probs. only me using my pc, so no one has messed with settings.

when i go on ebay.co.uk, not all the images load up. its just started to happen out of the blue!
    XP Pro SP2, AMD Athlon XP 2200, ASRock K7S41 MoBo, 1GB RAM, WD 80GB + WD 160GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce FX5200, LG SuperMulti Drive, Sony DVD burner, Soundblaster 5.1 soundcard, PCI SATA Card, Samsung SM940MW LCD TV, Logitech LX700 wireless K/B & Mouse

When things start to happen out of the blue, I immediately think virus/malware! Have you run any a/v and malware remover programs?

bigbob2006--Not being able to access a site and not getting all the images from a site that you can otherwise see can be two different issues.

Malware--poppy4 has suggested malware could be on your PC. Malware could have made Restricted Sites entries without your knowing it. And since you are getting a Restricted Site message you should indeed see whether these sites are in your Restricted Sites.
    To check that out, see the procedure here
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=167915

Restricted Sites--Putting a site into Restricted Sites will, however, rarely prevent access. It will prevent cookies from being downloaded and the site must obey all the Custom Level settings in Internet Sites. The only time such restrictions would block access is if the site requires that cookies be downloaded.
    In the case of the images, it is possible they could be blocked by their "source site" being in Restricted Sites and the images require ActiveX controls and scripting to run. See below under HOSTS for the procedure to identify "source sites".

HOSTS--Another reason for blocked access is that the site is in your HOSTS file (just HOSTS, not HOSTS.sam)--assuming you have a HOSTS file. And malware can also make entries there. You could open HOSTS with Notepad and run Edit|Find for the blocked sites, such as "dell.co.uk". Be aware that images often come from a site other than the one you are looking at. Right click|Properties on the place where the image should be to see what is in the Address line. That is the "source site" of the image. You could then see if your HOSTS file is blocking that site.

Other--Other things could be blocking images, but I understand that only some images are being blocked.
    The simplest solution could be to just click the Refresh button.
    There are lots of solutions for blocked images but usually they are helpful when all images are blocked. However the following site might still be of help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

issue resolved. Mcafee was clashing with Windows security.

thanks.

Thanks for posting back...

bigbob2006--Glad to hear you solved your problem. What is "Windows security" and how did you fix the clash?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information