repair install with different CD?

Thread: repair install with different CD?

repair install with different CD?

my my friends computer has gone a bit strange and when booting up it says that a key XP file is missing and needs to be replaced with an XP repair install. Unfortunately however I don't think the laptop came with a CD as it was OEM and pre-installed. i however have my XP CD. So i was wondering if i could use my CD in their laptop just for the repair install? Only other problem is that i have XP prof and they have XP home.
    Windows 7, Asus P5Q-E iP45 , Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB Ballistix DDR2 800MHz, GeForce 9600.

No, it isn't going to work unfortunately, especially with Pro over Home. Also it will ask for a product key, and you won't be able to enter his OEM key with your disc. However, if you know what files need replacing, you may be able to extract them from your CD and replace the missing ones.

Using the expand command
    Nick.

i know the file as it says it when trying to boot up. but i don't know it off hand. unfortunately i was looking for a very quick fix as I’m at uni and we break up for Easter today. but she told me that they have had a computer guy around to fix things before and can just call him again. it's just a pain as i bet he will charge a fortune for a quick fix. are well thanks for the info anyway.
    Windows 7, Asus P5Q-E iP45 , Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB Ballistix DDR2 800MHz, GeForce 9600.

Thread Information