Windows Update not Working

Thread: Windows Update not Working

Cool Windows Update not Working

Have the latest IE with SP and am trying to run the windows update. It naturally gives the "Express or Custom" buttons and it doesn't matter which one I choose. Once I click on one (have tried both) it says it's checking for updates but it's actually doing nothing!! It just acts like its checking but in reality it's not. Have reinstalled IE with the SP and still get the same results. No spyware software is running cause I know this can stop it from working.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this one? It was working fine with the "old" upgrade version but when I went to run upgrade a few months back I was forced to upgrade to the newest upgrade version. Sure would like to have the old one back but I dont think that's possible. Not really sure if the new version is the problem anyway. Just some additional info.

Oh ya, running W2k.

Here are a couple of useful resources which might help:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

MrScary's Windows Update Resource Page
    Nick.

Unhappy

Went to both sites. The latter is old. Used the MS troubleshooter and tried the 2 recommendations they had; 1) replace/install the iuctl.inf file and 2) install the latest scripting engine 5.6. Neither workded. I uninstalled IE6 and even tried using IE5 and still get the same results...it says it's checking for updates and seems to get caught in an endless loop. I've let it run for 2 hours and it's still showing that it's "Checking for the latest updates for your computer...." Don't know what else to do with this one.

Try both of the following:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

http://update.microsoft.com

(Sometimes the second works when the first one won't).

dhoser--You need to allow ActiveX controls to run to use the Windows Update site. The simplest way to do that is to put whatever URL you use to access the site into your Trusted Sites. (Uncheck the box "Require server verification...")
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I don't want to do autoupdates. I want to see the list of updates available since I last updated my PC. The MS update sites only offer the autoupdate as an alternative.
    I have disabled Spyware Doctor before and tried the Update with the same results. I don't know of any other software that would be using active-x. Anyway to check to see if some other software on my PC us using it?

dhoser--
    I don't want to do autoupdates. I want to see the list of updates available since I last updated my PC.
    I am not sure to whom you are addressing that comment.
    My suggestion in post #5 has nothing to do with automatic updates. That is affected by how you set up Control Panel|Security Center. My suggestion will, in fact, show you the Updates that MS feels are appropriate for your PC. It is up to you to decide whether/which to download and/or install.
    If you want to see all Updates go here
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...en/default.asp
    But they may or may not be suitable for your PC.
    Trust me, Windows Update requires ActiveX controls to run.
    Last edited by Welshjim; March 13th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
    Jim

OK, thanx. Any way to tell if ActiveX is running? Didn't see it when I ran msconfig in the list of services or startup items.

dhoser--IE Tools|Internet Options|Security tab|Custom Level. Put all the ActiveX settings to Enable.
    But simpler is to put whatever site you are using to access Windows Update into your Trusted Sites per post #5 above.
    ActiveX is not a program. You are rather giving permission to run Active X controls that may already be on your PC--usually in the Downloaded Program Files folder. If you do not already have the required ActiveX control on your PC, you will get a window asking if you want to download it.
    Jim

Resolved.

Was able to manually download and install some updates/patches and for some reason this fixed the autoupdate problem...bizzare. Thanx for all the help and suggestions.

dhoser--Glad to hear the good news. So, you are saying that doing a few manual downloads and installs of Critical Updates cleared up the problem? Had you made any of the suggested changes like in Custom Level or putting the MS update site into Trusted Sites before doing the manual updates?
    Jim

Thread Information