Missing "\windows\system32\config\system " erorr...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing "\windows\system32\config\system " erorr...

Missing "\windows\system32\config\system " erorr...

The computer I'm working on give me the following message when I turn it on: Windows cannot start because the following is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system

I tried to find the answer myself and ended up here. I tried to follow the instructions, but when I tried to input the line "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak", it couldn't be found. I continued copying the other lines just find. I coulnd't do "delete c:\windows\system32\config\system" or "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system" All the other commands worked.

This did not fix the problem. Am I missing something? Help please! Thanks!
    Last edited by crowland2; February 24th, 2006 at 03:29 PM.

crowland2--More ideas
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20859867.html

P.S. Concerning the md tmp command, I think you are trying to create a new file--not find an existing one. In other words, taking the first md tmp command, you are creating a new "system" file called system.bak in the "tmp" folder. Then in the next bunch of commands you are deleting the original "system" file, so you are left only with system.bak in the tmp folder at that point.
    Last edited by Welshjim; February 24th, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hello crowland2

Here`s a different way to do it. See if you can run these commands

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config
    press ENTER.

Type dir system
    press ENTER.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3.
    If you can run the preceding command successfully, type
    ren system system.bak
    press ENTER.

Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message.

Type exit
    press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin
    Hello crowland2

Here`s a different way to do it. See if you can run these commands

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd system32\config
    press ENTER.

Type dir system
    press ENTER.

I could not do this, so I guess the file is missing.

If you cannot run the preceding command successfully (because the file is missing), skip to step 3.
    If you can run the preceding command successfully, type
    ren system system.bak
    press ENTER.

I then tried this.
    Type copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

You should receive a "One file copied" informational message.
    I did not get "one file copied".

Type exit
    press ENTER to quit Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Elaine
    Any other ideas? Thanks for the responses!

I think you need to do an over-the-top re-install of Windows XP here. Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP
    Nick.

This is what I did:

I put in the Dell reinstall cd. I turned on the computer and hit F2 to change the boot sequence to CD instead of harddrive. When the computer restarted, I still had to hit a key to get it to start from the cd. Otherwise, it continued on and I got the same message.

I then got the screen "Winxp Home Edition Setup". Choices were Enter=Continue, R=Repair, and F3=Quit. I clicked on Enter (to continue). I got the License page and clicked on F8 (I agree). I then got the partition page. Choices are Enter=Install, D=Delete Partition, and F3=Quit. It shows 3 partitioned spaces and one unpartitioned space. What choice should I make here? I'm trying not to lose info. Thanks!

Have a read here
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Scroll down to
    XP Repair Install

Elaine

I'm having to do "Warning 2". But I have a question: After hitting "R" for Repair, I get the following.

1. C:\windows

Which windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel press ENTER)?

I'm getting confused now, but I believe earlier I pressed "1". I can't remember why, though. What am I supposed to do at this screen? There are no choices, so I must have read to press "1" somewhere. Thanks!

This option is about how many operating systems you have installed. Some people have more than one installed.

So, if you only have one copy of XP (and no other OS) installed you just press "1" as you did before.

Elaine

I've tried everything in all the responses and nothing is working properly. I guess I'll have to format and reinstall? This is a friend's computer, so I wanted to exhaust every option before I lose everything on their computer. If there's anything else, let me know. Otherwise, I'll bring it back to my friend and let her try someone else, or see if she wants me to reformat and reinstall. Thanks for all the help!

It sounds as if you're going into the Recovery Console. You don't want that, so don't hit "R" for repair at that point, but let Setup continue, and you should get another option later on to "Repair an existing installation".
    Nick.

I've done it both ways. I've hit the R and followed directions, and I've hit the Enter. When I hit ENTER, I never get the choice to "Repair", so I get out of it (as suggested). I followed the website suggested by Dunedin to no avail. I also clicked on Mr. White's suggestions (on the webiste) and followed that. No luck. The correct options (answers?) just aren't on my screen. So...now what? Thanks!
    Last edited by crowland2; February 25th, 2006 at 02:43 PM.

In that case it means that the Windows installation is so badly hosed that Setup can't even recognise that there is anything to repair. I'm afraid the only option left is a clean install of Windows
    Nick.

At least I can tell my friend I pretty much tried everything to save it. Thanks for all the help!

You're very welcome It's a shame we couldn't give you better news.
    Nick.

Thread Information