Why does my clock suddenly lose time?

Thread: Why does my clock suddenly lose time?

Hybrid View

Why does my clock suddenly lose time?

Just recently, my clock in the System Tray has started to lose time. Every couple of days or so I notice that it's lost many hours. It's not a major problem but it's a bit irritating when my emails start to show that I replied before I got them (maybe I have second sight or something!)

I downloaded a little atomic clock program so it could synchronize the clock over the internet, but Windows Defender kicked up such a fuss about it, even before I installed it, that I decided that discretion is the better part of valour and ditched it in case it's a nasty.

Is there an easy answer within Windows, or a safe program that will synchronize the clock with an atomic one on the internet, or do I have to get some sort of battery replaced?

If it's jumping hours at a time, it sounds like you have the wrong timezone selected -- double-click on the clock and check.

Windows XP actually includes time synchronisation (the Internet Time tab); you don't need third-party software.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Might need to replace the three dollar battery....

Did you recently start unplugging the pc from it's electrical source at night?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

This is a workaround rather than a true fix, but you can change the Windows Time update interval by hacking the Registry thus:

In HK_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient -
    Change value of SpecialPollInterval to number of seconds required between updates.
    Create new Dword value for SpecialPollInterval if necessary.
    Nick.

Prescott (gold motherload country), Arizona, USA
    Double click on clock.
    on the internet time tab, change the default time server to one from this list.
    (the windows default time servers may not work).

http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html
    I read your e-mail

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Thanks for the fast responses. To answer your questions:
    1) I've checked the time zone and it's correct for me.
    2) Maybe the answer is a battery. I do switch off the power at night.
    3) I tried connecting to tf.nist.gov before asking on these forums, and in response to GodMonstr's suggestion, but each I try it times out.
    4) Re the Registry edit... I'm really not happy to fiddle with it (I'm a prime example of Murphy's Law.... "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong"!)
    Mike

Thread Information