Huge problem.. can not use windows!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge problem.. can not use windows!

Huge problem.. can not use windows!

Roughly 3 weeks ago, we purchased a HP Pavilion notebook from a store in australia. Everything was working perfectly for the first 2 weeks, whence we decided to upgrade the RAM, and it happened to simply be a matter of swapping one of the 256mb ram chips with a 1024mb one. From that moment (or perhaps a day or two afterwards), I have experienced some problems with the computer. I just want to point out that several days after the upgrade we left Australia for a holiday in Europe, where the problem has gotten worse. I doubt that there is any plausible relationship between this and the porblems we are experiencing though.

Initially, it all started with one thing. Whenever I started up the computer, and consequently windows, a little alert would come up just before Explorer, saying that some things had changed i nthe registery and that windows had found alternate sources and replaced the files. I have never seen anything like this in my 8 or so years of using computers, amongst all the viruses, etc.. that I have enountered.Neverthless, whilst still in australia, I noticed no porblems with windows itself, all the programs were running perfectly like normal. When we arrived in spain, I tried loading Sony vegas and it asked me for a serial number - strange considering I had already entered it before and had used the program freuqnelty upon installing it on my notebook. Then program, after program, would come up with some new and peculiar fault, bar adobe photoshop, ms office, and a few others.

The other day however, the unthinkable happened. I tried to load widnows, and at the username window (before the desktop loads) no usernames showed up. now i only have 1 username, and ti has no password protection, but even still it did not appear there, and I have no way of accessing my files/folders, some of wchih are extremely important and I cant' fathom formatting and reinstalling xp, without backing them up.

Any suggestoins or ideas would be GREATLY app[recoiated.

Hi, welcome to Virtual Dr.

Try starting in Safe Mode for starters. It sounds like it could be system corruption and/or malware. If you can run OK in Safe Mode that will help rule out a few things. When you post back, include system specs--model number, OS (XP?), etc. and we'll go from there.

To enter Safe Mode--tap F8 at the Windows splash screen, choose Safe Mode at the options menu.

hey, thx. yeah i've tried going in safe mode and all is good, but I couldnt access my files once windows had started up.

system specs

os - xp sp2
    im unsure about the exact model no. its a hp pavilion notebook zd8202AP i believe.

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_e...8_EE499PA.html

Actually that sounds exactly like faulty memory to me. You get all kinds of weird problems like that. You can test the RAM without needing to boot into Windows. Either or both of these can be run from a floppy:

Memtest86

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Nick.

Nick's right--I just reread your post, the timing of the RAM replacement didn't dawn on me earlier. (Not enough coffee this morning! ) Try putting the original 256MB card back in, too, see what happens.

ok guys, i took out the RAM, but i still can not enter windows. the starrtup screen loads with no usernames, and i cant get any further. ive tried f8 - system restore, but to no avail.

any more ideas?

I agree with SuperSparks, could be bad RAM tearing everything up. Memtest86 has an ISO image available for burning a bootable CD.

If the RAM checks out OK, (let the test run a while), then I'd suspect a failing hard drive ... which can also tear up files(/programs).

Could be ESD damage too.

i did a hard drive test the other day, using bios, and everything came out fine. as i said, i removed that upgraded ram today and i am still having the same problems...

please if sonmeone can give me some advice that allow me to access windows simply to backup some files, i am fine with formatting and rebooting. obviously a complete solution, which fixes this problem as well as allowing me to do the former would be even better.

The hardware *-must-* be working right before any software will. If it's not, it could potentially destroy whatever's left on the hard drive ruining any chance of recovery.

Do you have access to another computer that you could slave the hard drive to? If so, you could copy your files off to another storage medium. Once that's out of the way you can see about getting any hardware problems diagnosed and repaired.

i dohave access to another computer, but i am unsure as to how i should slave the hard dirve to it??

Remove the drive from your current computer. On the back of it you should see some jumpers:

Set it to the Slave position (there will be a lable on the drive to tell you which it is). Then install it on the spare (middle) connector that you should find on the ribbon cable in the other PC:

Plug in any spare Molex power connector:

After that is done, boot up, and you should be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer and copy the files in the usual way.
    Nick.

Since it's a 2.5" notebook hard drive, you'll need an adapter to plug it into a regular Desktop PC. Like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=906&sku=17705
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Just a note: After upgrading the RAM,did you go into bios and set ESCD to enable so the OS would get a new hardware profile?
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

no i didnt... do u think that could be it... the technician said we dont have to do anything except switch the ram cards.. we didnt modify anything in the computer..

If you were charged with static electricity when you "switched the ram cards", there is no telling what all was "modified in the computer".

When you were handling the RAM chip(s), did you follow all the normal precautions as well as wear a wrist strap (or other grounding device) for ESD prevention?

Static electricity, a normal and natural phenomenon, builds up on your body as you walk around. You experience an electrostatic discharge (ESD) when you touch an object and feel a spark. ESD can cause serious damage to the internal components of your computer. CPUs and memory chips of any kind are highly vulnerable to ESD.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...memory&spell=1

Thread Information