Major Problem - PC Completley freezing up!!!

Thread: Major Problem - PC Completley freezing up!!!

Major Problem - PC Completley freezing up!!!

Hi all.

My PC keeps completley freezing up, like clockwork after having it logged onto windows for about 2 - 5 mins. No matter what App im runnning, even when there isnt anything running!!

Its a HP Vectra VL600
    200gb HD,
    512 NEC RAM (2 styx)
    Standard MOBO.
    Pentium 3 CPU.
    Standard Graphics card, network card.
    USB 2.0 Extention Card (6 slots)
    Using a USB Mouse and a bog standard KB.

It all ran fine till i turned it on one day and BOOM!! sh1t creek without a paddle! im hinkinh it might be the MOBO, as iv had everything out that isnt essential and it still does it and also iv had everything out and cleaned, still no good. Any help form anyone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Nathan.

What is the temp's on cpu are all fan's running? If it will run long enough install everest to get system temps ect. Sounds Like over heating in graphic card or cpu

i tryed to install that, several times! it wouldnt stay up long enough for the download to finish! any other ideas? please help!!

Open the side of the case (or on many HPs, take the cover off) and aim a table fan to blow straight into the computer. See if the extra ventilation/cooling helps any. Post back with the result.

i dont have acess to a fan of any description, sorry. its working in safe mode at the moment so im inclined to think its one of my drivers acting up? could i be right?

Safe mode requires less graphics Does the graphic card have a fan on the heat sink?Is it running?

no its doesnt, its a fairly old graphics card, running in PCI. Device manager says its fine? forgot to mention im using XP Pro if that makes a differance to anyone?

Re:Major Problem - PC Completley freezing up!!!

You mentioned it is pretty much o.k. in safe mode... buut freezes after 2 - 5 min.'s in normal mode. older video card, PCI USB card.
    pull 1 stick of ram. pull the USB card. plug in a PS/2 mouse.
    See what happens. Video card drivers tend to be the culprit alot of the time, but a faulty ( pronounced sometimes o.k. , sometimes weak ) Power supply can cause this , or a hard drive that is having problems.
    XP ( all flavors) is not very forgiving to alot of things. I have had hard drives overheat & cause the same thing to happen.
    Does it have onboard Video ? if yes, pull all PCI cards, just try booting with the one stick of ram, & the hard drive...No cd, no floppy, no USB card.
    See what happens. If everything is o.k., then re-attach the floppy & reboot.
    Try this in succession. floppy , then cd , then USB, etc. Also , after touching the metal case( or even better -> hold the case w/ 1 hand while parts w /the other - prevents ESD ). Usually this will point to where the problem is, if it is hardware related.

Let's back up a little. Important for You to know is if there has been any
    damage of any kind to the hard drive...jarred, dropped, little brother thought it was a funny shaped football, etc.
    I lost a new Maxtor 120 Gig. when my roomate's kid fell into/onto a table my drive was on. The drive hit the carpet, after bouncing off the said table which was falling. cracked the plastic fitting for the IDE cable. thought that was the only damage ( ya, right). Now It freezes, heats up hot enough to fry eggs on, & constantly has errors. So now it is a nice, exspensive paperweight.
    Video Drivers are usually a big culprit, but thare are alot of other factors to think about as well.
    Let me know how you make out.
    Jeff

hi, i tryed what you said and these are the results.

Everything unplugged - Fine.
    With Floppy drive - Fine
    CD Drives - Fine

the problems began to occur when i put the Network Card back in PCI, it started off it would take about 20 mins to freeze but rapidly got worse and worse after each reboot. i never got round to putting the USB card back. While it was running i uninstalled as much as possible to reduce CPU useage, which helped for a while. Hope this can help you help me figure out whats wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkage
    hi, i tryed what you said and these are the results.

Everything unplugged - Fine.
    With Floppy drive - Fine
    CD Drives - Fine

the problems began to occur when i put the Network Card back in PCI, it started off it would take about 20 mins to freeze but rapidly got worse and worse after each reboot. i never got round to putting the USB card back. While it was running i uninstalled as much as possible to reduce CPU useage, which helped for a while. Hope this can help you help me figure out whats wrong.
    Er,Can I get a little more info? Please post what OS you're using.
    Are you using HP parts for the add on cards?
    Are the memory sticks a matched set, or did you get them seperate(minor, but can make a difference according to HP)
    I need to know more before I can go any further with this....

im using Win XP Pro. Both the memory sticks are NEC 256'S which arent standard. im assuming the add in cards are HP standards as the mobo comes complete with, erm.... next to nothing!and the cards are unmarked. The USB card is Belkin but iv given trying to use it for now. When the computer actually run i can access the internet fine which is confusing me as the problems on start when the network card is in? let me know if you need anymore info. Thanks, Nathan.

Is the standard network card neccessary? ( is there an onboard network card ),If not , I would suggest a different brand, like D-Link , or Linksys, etc. ....they are inexspensive, & readily available ( even the giant discount chains carry them in electronics).
    For starters, try just 1 of each, RAM, hard drive, CD-Rom, Floppy , then add the second stick of Ram..& sit back & watch for a short period.If everything is still a go, try adding 1 more component at a time. This will simplify the process of nailing down the culprit - a little time consuming, but worth it.
    I would also think about replacing the belkin usb w / another...? brand, maybe the hp doesn't like the belkin card.I know, I know, that might sound weird.
    But it is very true. Computers, especially by the big manufacturers tend to be really finicky about add on parts ( spelled *Propritary*Dell is the worst there.)
    I've had add in parts that will make a dell not even boot, yet put them in a E-machine, Gateway,,etc. they boot & work fine.I'm not picking on Dell, they got smart(for themselves) & designed boards to accept other Dell-specifed parts, but pitch a fit with standard replacements. This may seem a little wordy, & I apologise, but I'm trying to get a point across here about boxes built big the big one's. It is a way for them to generate revenue, & some will even go as far as to void a warranty if you don't use their parts
    Anyhow, piece by piece for troubleshooting; try a different brand of the suspicious one. should be reasonable, not as costly as replacing a processor.
    That should take care of it.
    hope this helps.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Greymatter184; February 23rd, 2006 at 04:41 AM. Reason: omission
    I Never Said Most Of What I Said....Or Did I?

i understand what you saying and it makes sense (i personally h8 dell, so feel free to slander them in my prescence ) but i didnt think HP were as fussy? I can go with out the extra USB slots anyway, just seemed like a good idea at the time. Sadly there is no onboard Networking Device so the card is nessicary. ill have a good go at what you said and try and find an alternate to this Network card. ill keep you posted, thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulkage
    i understand what you saying and it makes sense (i personally h8 dell, so feel free to slander them in my prescence ) but i didnt think HP were as fussy? I can go with out the extra USB slots anyway, just seemed like a good idea at the time. Sadly there is no onboard Networking Device so the card is nessicary. ill have a good go at what you said and try and find an alternate to this Network card. ill keep you posted, thanks again!!!
    Alas, most of the "BIG" manufacturers have the $clout to get the hardware makers to tweak the hardware a little...force you to get parts from them
    Like Dell memory for an entry level P-4 rig is 69.00, yet the same ram at a very reputable online seller ( same cas, etc....) is 20.00 that's a fifty dollar (u.s.) difference..... er, wait a minute-i-need-to drop-my-trousers-and -bend-over
    situation.....(sad state of affairs ).
    ih , well. I got taken only once
    go for a replacement...is cheaper than messing around & the resulting *HEADACHES*.. good luck, have fun
    I Never Said Most Of What I Said....Or Did I?

Thread Information