CPU Running Hot

Thread: CPU Running Hot

CPU Running Hot

I have a problem with my work computer and I am wondering if I can get some help.
    The problem that I am having is that my computer is automatically shutting off in the middle of me working and is rebooting itself. When I checked the BIOS, the Hardware Monitor tells me that the CPU temperature is running at 131 deg F. But upon monitoring it, the CPU doesn't stay at a constant temperature, it continues to climb and get hotter, causing it to shut down at 140 deg F.

I installed another case fan, pointing it inward to the cpu, hoping that would solve the problem. So far no luck.

Just about everything has been upgraded on this computer except the processor and harddrive.

I'm hoping someone can give me some answers. It's getting frustrating for a shut down to happen in the middle of me processing a command.

Computer Specs:
    AMD Athelon 1900+
    Asus A7N8X-E motherboard
    768 MG. DDR ram
    PNY 128 AGP G-Force Video card
    On Board Sound
    Windows XP SP2

A case fan won't help if the CPU fan is dying, or damaged, either way a case fan would just help suck air out of the case, and recycle hot air, try removing the fan and clean the blades, or use a pipecleaner (carefully) or a can or compressed air, hopefully it will just be dust clogging the fan up, and if there is no change consider a new heatsink and fan. Are you using the stock cooler at the moment?

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

What is the stock cooler?

The cooler supplied with the CPU when it was purchased.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

With your AMD cpu I would say the stock cooler (heatsink&fan) is made of Aluminum with a copper core. Many times over time the heatsink will become clogged with dust, restricting the flow of cool air to the core causing the cpu to over heat. Fan bearings will eventually ware out and fan speeds can be reduced. Could be both or just clogged cooling fins. I would have a look and perhaps blow the fins out with some canned air. Sometimes removeing the heatsink and fan and cleaning it front and back and reapplying thermal paste such as AS5 will work wonders.
    Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money, Ride like you've never crashed, and dance like no one's watching!!!!!

Thread Information