random restarts

Thread: random restarts

random restarts

To whom it may concern,

The past two weeks I have been encountering a problem with my custom desktop computer. The problem began with my computer randomly rebooting and at times not recognizing a generic (non-usb) keyboard upon posting. The reboots do not occur under special circumstances; they happen regardless of processing power being used, applications being ran, games being played, etc. The keyboard issue was fixed with a replacement but I'm still having rebooting problems.

The events that occur during this problem are bizarre. My computer will restart and go right into post. Sometimes it will loop in post three to four times. If this happens, it usually is followed by my monitor not receiving a signal (light = orange) and my computer fans (maybe case, maybe cpu) sound like they increase/decrease in speed.

Initially I assumed it was an overheating problem. The temperature remains cool (<100) and I dropped my processor speed to its default speed. My problem persists. I reformatted soon after hoping it was possibly a software corruption but my problem persists. I ran a memory checking program but everything checked out ok. I turned off Automatic Restarts in windows/bios, no dice. After a thorough cleaning of fans, devices, and a reseating of cards/cables it still has problems.

I was in a bad habit of transporting it to and from places weeks before my problem began. It is entirely possible something got screwed up from being picked up so many times. I'm thinking it's a hardware concern. Maybe power supply, maybe mobo.

AMD Athlon 1.8ghz
    Asus a7n7xe-delux mobo
    OCZ 512 RAM
    Radeon 9800pro (catalyst 2.6.61)
    Soundblaster Live
    Floppy, CDRW, WD 120gig
    stock power supply
    windows xp sp2
    ethernet/cable connection

Thanks a ton and I look forward to any feedback!

edit: no error messages upon successful login to windows. operates normally without speed decrease. just random reboots. thanks again. power supply fan spins.

edit2: at the moment i cannot boot up (it will cycle in post.) otherwise i would run the results of the "everest" program i saw in another thread while searching.
    Last edited by hvzgg; February 15th, 2006 at 02:06 AM.

Maybe shorting out somewhere?

If you boot it from say a Windows 98 boot disk and leave it running overnight, does it reboot by itself? (Type something at the A:\> prompt but don't press [Enter]. If what you typed is gone in the morning, it rebooted).

I had a similar problem once. I resolved it by changing my Power Options. I changed my "Turn off Monitor" option to Never. It seemed to solve my problem.

Hi hvzgg, welcome to Virtual Dr

It does sound like a hardware issue, but to be certain that it isn't software or a driver issue, go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Settings and uncheck "Automatically restart". Then if the cause of the problem is a software or driver problem, you'll get a Stop error instead the next time the problem occurs. If it still continues to reboot anyway, then it points to a definite hardware fault.
    Nick.

thanks for the help, everyone.

one thing i didn't do was check the power to the mobo. stupid me. i checked it this morning and found what is most probably the source of my problem.

about three/four female slots on the power cable appear to be burned with a brown color and strong burning odor. the respective male slots on the mobo have the same appearance.

my next step will to research new mobo's and decide on one as well as another power supply. thanks for the help, guys!

Thread Information