Fresh Windows xp install

Thread: Fresh Windows xp install

Fresh Windows xp install

I recently did a fresh reinstall of win xp and was logging on as a Adminstrator.. Well this morning i created a new user acct for my nephew and now all of a sudden i cant log on with the administrator acct. I read around some and found out that i can now only logon to it when i go to safe mode. The reason this is a problem for me is i intstalled some programs that i now have no access to. i realize i can download them again but i'd have to go to the hassle of setting everything up again to my liking.. is there anyway i can keep this acct to show up on the welcome screen with my nephews acct? I tried renaming the Administrator acct but there is no option for that. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks.

If it's XP Home, I'm not sure if you can. In XP Pro, the way to do it is to download Tweak UI and look in the Logon category, then check the box to show the Administrator user on the welcome screen. You could try that and see if it works.

As you've discovered though, using Administrator is generally a bad idea; creating a new account for general use (even if it's another user in the Administrators group) should be one of the first things you do.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

yeah i guess i found that out the hard way. Can i delete this acct? This way i dont have to worry about those programs on the Hard drive?

Thread Information