reviving vb6, temporarily

Thread: reviving vb6, temporarily

reviving vb6, temporarily

about 10 years ago, i did some coding in vb6, and wanted to use it now to mock up some programs for a presentation...

i was surprised to find that it is missing from current day pc, as i thought that it would either have been carried forward from old pc's to new pc's over the years or still have been part of the basic software...

so, tried to find and install CD/disks to no avail, then tried to find a download for it and it would appear that ms is now charging money for it (even tho i thought they had dropped support for it in lieu of "vb 2005"...)...

anyone know how i can garner vb6, or the equivalent, as i thought i noted some news that an open source equivalent had been developed???

Visual Basic 6 was never free software. Visual Studio 6 has actually been pulled from MSDN now too as part of the Java settlement.

The closest thing you'll be able to get your hands on now is Visual Basic 2005 Express, which is currently free. The language is superficially like VB, but there's a bit of a culture shock hidden in there too.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

thanks tuttle, i missed the fact that vb05 is free (for one year), guess i saw the "purchase" button at the top and missed that tidbit to the right ...

anyway, if you have a moment, could you concisely elaborate on the "culture shock" inference that you made, as to whether that applies to the "web developer" version or the other one or both...
    Last edited by keywester; January 20th, 2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: corrections

The culture shock is that .NET is now fully object oriented, and the syntax is quite different in many repects, though they've left a fair bit of legacy stuff in. Personally I love .NET, now that I've got used to it, but it does take a bit of getting used to at first. VB is no longer the "poor relation" as it were, you end up with the same machine code whether you write your progarm in VB, C#, J# or managed C++. Or in the full version of Visual Studio .NET you can write bits in any or all of the languages and compile them into one finished app if you want to.

The real downside is that VB isn't such an easy language to learn any more. But you can get some great help on our sister site here:

www.vbforums.com
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by keywester
    thanks tuttle, i missed the fact that vb05 is free (for one year), guess i saw the "purchase" button at the top and missed that tidbit to the right ...
    The "free (for one year)" bit is badly expressed as well. If you grab it within the first year of release, it's free forever. After that, they reserve the right to start charging $49 or whatever for it.

anyway, if you have a moment, could you concisely elaborate on the "culture shock" inference that you made, as to whether that applies to the "web developer" version or the other one or both...
    As SuperSparks said, it's mainly the OO stuff and the .NET Framework. I'm guessing your programming skills are basically at the hobbyist level, so you'll probably end up relearning VB 2005 the same way you learned classic VB -- work out what you want to do, search for examples that are kind of close, and adapt them. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/learning/Migrating/ has a bunch of stuff linked to from it.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information