Computer name

Thread: Computer name

Computer name

Hi, I was loading XP Pro on a computer at work and left it while it was installing, and told a colleague of mine when it came to the screen where it asks you for a computer name and company name just to put in the usual run of the mill stuff e.g user, name and company being home sort of thing. When i returned the download had completed and xp was installed the only problem was that my colleague put in two very inappropriate names.

I was wondering how I change this as the user is using his computer at home and the names are rather rude for his wives eyes, I told him to go into user accounts and change it from there, but when he did this on reboot it's back to the old names, or when he downloads files the folder destination has these names e.g c:documents and settings\computer name*\desktop\music (*rude computer name). I was told i would have to re-install xp again, surely I don't need to go through this again.

Lesson learned, don't trust people you work with to do anything sensable.

Advice please, cheers Alan.
    SONY Vaio
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Dual Core
    McAfee Internet Security
    3Gb Ram
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S & D
    CCleaner

Hello Alan

1.Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

2.Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

3.Backup the registry by exporting the key.

4.To change the company name, do the following:
    In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:
    In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
    Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

5.Close Registry Editor and restart Windows

Elaine

If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

Will try this and let you know how i get on, the guys bringing the pc back to work will try it then.

Regards and thenks Alan
    SONY Vaio
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Dual Core
    McAfee Internet Security
    3Gb Ram
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S & D
    CCleaner

When I did as instructed I managed change the computer name and company, but it is still calling the folder destination by the name the idiot called it, I looked in regedit but didn't know where to find this key to change this destination folders name please advise, or is it looking more like a re-install of the OS.

Thanks again Alan
    SONY Vaio
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Dual Core
    McAfee Internet Security
    3Gb Ram
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S & D
    CCleaner

If the folder you are referring to is the one in Documents and Settings, then it is unchangeable, if you try and force it you'll very likely render Windows unbootable (I know this, I tried it ). All you can do is delete the User altogether in Control Panel>User accounts and then recreate the User with the name that you want. If it is an Admnin account then you'll need to boot into the default Admin account to do this. To enter the normally hidden default Administrator account, at the Login Screen hit Ctrl>Alt>Del twice and you'll get a Windows 2000-style login box. Type "Administrator" for the username and whatever the password is. To get to it in account in Home Edition you need to boot into Safe Mode first.
    Nick.

Tried all suggestions in the end I just re-installed XP, as the user didn't have that much info on the machine and all the stuff he did have was on CD, so he said it wouldn't matter if I re-installed XP. Job done now everything fine and PC has a proper name etc.
    Once again thanks for all the advice, learnt a few things as well, especially never trust a work colleague to do a simple thing.

Cheers Alan.
    SONY Vaio
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel Dual Core
    McAfee Internet Security
    3Gb Ram
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S & D
    CCleaner

Thread Information