[RESOLVED] MS Crash Analysis - Consider BIOS Upgrade
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] MS Crash Analysis - Consider BIOS Upgrade

Resolved [RESOLVED] MS Crash Analysis - Consider BIOS Upgrade

Hello. My pc crashed while using Photo Shop (it has done this several times). I was directed to the MS Crash Analysis site. Following is the info from MS Crash Analysis site:

Solution not found: consider BIOS Upgrade

Problem description
    Microsoft is unable to determine what specifically caused the problem you reported.

Consider BIOS Upgrade
    During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the processor that is installed on your computer.

I am concerned about upgrading the BIOS and making matters worse. The only other problems I have encountered is an occasional beep from the tower and it seems that my pc is getting slower rand slower to boot and respond when opening software.

Have run scan disk, disk cleanup, Northon AV... no problems indicated.

Can someone tell me about this BIOS upgrade... I'm sure I can do it with a little help - if it is necessary.

I have a SystemMax pc - INTEL P4 2.6GHZ, 256, 40, CDRW, XP HOME PC (SYX-P4-988557 ). BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG

Thanks! D

That seems like the typical thing you get when you call up microsoft and you get a dumb employee in their customer service.

I would check the latest BIOS update, and see if it offers you anything that might be useful, because BIOS upgrades can be unsafe if something where to go wrong (e.g. power failure) you could end up with a doorstop.

If there is nothing to gain from the new BIOS update, i would leave it alone and add some more memory, because if you're using photoshop with 256mb of RAM, it will crash if you do a lot of work because it is a memory hungry program.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Yeah, that's what I thought... but I don't exactly know how to 'check the latest BIOS update" and whether "it offers..." How can I check and how will I know if it's useful? Thanks. D

Download Everest-Home, in my signature, and run it, click Motherboard, then BIOS, and see what version is listed, post back the info, and i'll check it on the manufacturers website to see what the current version is, and what it offers.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W

Here is the report on Motherboard/BIOS from Everest-Home

BIOS Properties:
    System BIOS Date 01/22/03
    Video BIOS Date 02/05/14
    Award BIOS Type Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message snc302eeh - P4PB400-FL BIOS v1.14
    DMI BIOS Version 6.00 PG

The report produced a great deal more - but I think this is what you wanted to see. Thanks. D

Looks like you have the latest BIOS already, the latest version on the VIA site is 1.13a, and you have 1.14.

So to avoid crashes in Photoshop i would advise adding more memory.

Post back the info from everest under the memory section, and i'll recommend come compatible RAM.

Liam

Photo Shop

Move the Photshop cache to another drive. When it fills up and combined with the windows virtual and other caches on the same partition, you get those silly crashes. You can lose stuff also.

See if this tutorial helps out.

To move the cache:
    1. Choose Edit > Preferences >
    2. In the drop down select Plug ins and Scratch disk.
    3. In the scratch disk section, select undr first where you want the scratch {cache} to be.

Hope that helps out.

Okay, I've pasted the info on memory from two sections of the report - hopefully the info you need... Thanks D

--------[ Overclock
    SPD Memory Modules:
    DIMM1: Kingston KVR266X64C25/256 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
    --------[ DMI ]

[ Memory Controller ]
    Memory Controller Properties:
    Error Detection Method None
    Error Correction None
    Supported Memory Interleave 4-Way
    Current Memory Interleave 4-Way
    Supported Memory Speeds 70ns, 60ns
    Supported Memory Types DIMM, SDRAM
    Supported Memory Voltages 2.9V
    Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MB
    Memory Slots 3

[ Memory Modules / A0 ]

Memory Module Properties:
    Socket Designation A0
    Type DIMM, SDRAM
    Speed 60 ns
    Installed Size 256 MB
    Enabled Size 256 MB

[ Memory Modules / A1 ]

Socket Designation A1
    Speed 60 ns
    Installed Size Not Installed
    Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Modules / A2 ]

Socket Designation A2
    Speed 60 ns
    Installed Size Not Installed
    Enabled Size Not Installed

[ Memory Devices / A0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
    Form Factor DIMM
    Size 256 MB
    Device Locator A0
    Bank Locator Bank0/1

[ Memory Devices / A1 ]

Form Factor DIMM
    Device Locator A1
    Bank Locator Bank2/3

[ Memory Devices / A2 ]

Form Factor DIMM
    Device Locator A2
    Bank Locator Bank4/5

Well... I only have one drive (hard drive, that is) The hd does have a partition for DISE (?) - some sort of auto back up from XP I think... Can the cache be located in the "D" partition? I'm glad someone understands this stuff - I'm happy with making the software work... but without the right hardware....
    Thanks, D

Storage:
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 (37 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive WSM-52Z
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 33031 MB (12339 MB free)
    D: (FAT32) 5112 MB (3648 MB free)
    Total Size 37.2 GB (15.6 GB free)

You can get some DDR 2100/2700 RAM, and can take upto 1024mb (1gb) across the three slots, so i would say to either let us know what country you're in so someone could recommend some sites to look at for memory, or have a look yourself, best bet may be to get a 512mb stick, and 768 should be fine.

Liam

I am in the US(southeastern). The only online vendor I am familiar with is tigerdirect.com because that is where I purchased this pc a couple of years ago. Are there specifics (other than what you've told me) I should know before I buy RAM and is it difficult to install? I am wondering if I should attempt the install or bring it to a technician. Thanks for your assistance. It is great to be able to ask questions/get answers. Maybe one day I will be able to provide some answers... D

Buy it from Newegg.com, it's faster. I buy from both, and I'll get Newegg's delivery faster than TigerDirect's. Just have it shipped Fedex 3-day service, it's usually delivered in two days. Their RAM prices are good, too. Get the same speed and latency as what you already have, or buy all new RAM sticks that match.

Installing it is easy. We'll help with photos, etc. if you wish.

Thanks for the info... I'll check out newegg but - "Get the same speed and latency as what you already have..." ... like, is this all I need to know >> "DDR 2100/2700 RAM"
    Guess you guys can tell I'm not familiar with this hardware stuff. But I am willing to learn Thanks! D

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Yours is Kingston Value Ram at 266 which is the same as DDR266/PC2100. So buy the same type of ram at newegg.

The other thing this could be is a dying motherboard -- that one is old enough that it might have bad capacitors. Open the case and look at the motherboard, then see if any of your capacitors look like the ones on the left in this photo.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information